Is a i3-10100T enough CPU for Unraid

Hi, I'm looking at building a new Unraid server and want to use a low power as I can.   I was looking at getting a i3-10100T or i5-10400t.    Is this CPU power enough or do I need the regular 65W versions?

I plan on running:

LSI Controller for x6 HDDs

x3 SSDs on the motherboard

1x SFP+ 10GB NIC

Docker containers:

Plex

NextCloud

PiHole

No VMs

I'll be using a Asus Z590i.   I know it's overkill for a I3 but I was able to get a really good deal on it 🙂

Thanks for any suggestions on this CPU and if the 25-35W version of the 10th gen I3 or I5 will be able to handle this configuration.

David

Edited by davidst95

You mention the asus z590i... I could be wrong but that motherboard 'only' supports two m.2 slots, no?

Also, a 10th gen cpu will give you pci-e 3.0 while your motherboard supports pci-e gen 4. I understand if this would not matter to you.

edit: you mean ssd, not nvme...

21 hours ago, Aran said:

You mention the asus z590i... I could be wrong but that motherboard 'only' supports two m.2 slots, no?
edit: you mean ssd, not nvme...

The reason for my question on the nature of his SSDs.

@davidst95 could utilize both of those available M.2 slots by installing NVMe drives but only if used with a 11th gen CPU.

The first M.2 slot (M.2_1) gets disabled if used with a 10th gen processor.

16 hours ago, Lolight said:

The reason for my question on the nature of his SSDs.

@davidst95 could utilize both of those available M.2 slots by installing NVMe drives but only if used with a 11th gen CPU.

The first M.2 slot (M.2_1) gets disabled if used with a 10th gen processor.

Hi, thanks for the reply.   I don't know why Asus designed the Z590i like they did.   It would of been better if I had a Z490i or B550i for a 10th gen processor.   I currently am using my old I7-11700K that I had in my desktop before I upgraded.   I want to replace it because I think it's overkill and wasting power.

However, I don't think losing a slot will be an issue.   The PCIe x16 slot is being used by a LSI card to connect my hard drives and the four onboard SATA slots for my SSD cache drives.   I also purchased this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BDYJVQ18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope this will allow me to use the M.2_2 slot for my 10GB SFP+ 4x PCIe card with a m.2 to PCI x4 adapter.   I'm currently using this in the M.2_1 slot which will be disabled when I swap out the CPU.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C79YLD9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, is there a big difference between the I3-10105T and the I3-10100T.   I purchased the I3-10105T.   It appears to be a newer model with 8MB of L3 Cache instead of 6MB however still listed at 25W TDP and not 65W TDP like the non-T version.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and suggestions.

David

Edited by davidst95