Enabling AHCI make my disks Missing

sam9s

Hi all,

After fully configuring my Unraid application wise, I decide to try out the AHCI mode, coz of two reasons, 1) AHCI has better performance and 2) Support for Hot Swapping. I am using 4.7 and my config is as follows.

Mobo : MSI P43 Neo

Proc : C2D E2140

RAM : 2 GB 800 Mhz

My Mobo supports AHCI. I also bought a Hot Swap Drive so as to give this a try. I am not sure if before enabling AHCI in Bios we need to do some configuring to Unraid as I could not find any such article, so off I went in to my BIOS and enabled AHCI. NOw when I boot in to my unraid, it does not detect the HDD. This is what I get  ...

unraidahci.jpg

If I go in to devices, it shows no device. Snap attached. Do I need to reassign the drive ......?? I didnt do anything coz I didnt want to loose my shares. So I thought to better ask my fellow members here.

unraidahci2.jpg

Any assistance ....

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Sammy

Syslog. Please post it.

Though I think you may need to re-assign the drives since unRAID 4.x series is particular about the device number the drives are on. When you enabled AHCI, the drives went from "hda" to "sda".

In later unRAID versions such as the 5.x series, the device number does not matter, only the device name.

Syslog. Please post it.

Though I think you may need to re-assign the drives since unRAID 4.x series is particular about the device number the drives are on. When you enabled AHCI, the drives went from "hda" to "sda".

In later unRAID versions such as the 5.x series, the device number does not matter, only the device name.

Yes now that you have mentioned I noticed is does have changed to HDA to SDA. I am attaching the syslog as you requested. Shall I try to reassign the drives. I hope it does not mess up my shares.

Also if it does works and all looks fine (I have all my shares etc) and I go and push in my another sata drive in the hot swap bay. How would Unraid react in that case. Would it consider the HDD as a new drive and offer preclear and make it a part of array. Or it would just make it available as a removal drive without the need to preclear. Basically how does hot swapping works with Unraid is what I need to know.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sammy

syslog-2011-08-13.txt

Thanks PeterB, I assigned the drives, again as you mentioned. Can you also shead some light on as to how Unraid 4.7 take hot swapping. If I stop the array and insert my 1TB drive in the hot swap bay, would Unraid take it as a new drive and offfer preclear/format. If yes then after running preclear can I use it like a hot swap drive, I mean can I remove the drive after stopping the Array and reinsert on the fly (without rebooting the server.)

Basically I am a bit confused as to how unraid behaves while hot swapping drives ....

Well no assistance as far as Hot Swapping goes and I cannot find much information on google. Anyway this is what I have observed till now ....

1. If I stop the array and then insert the drive, nothing happens, unraid does not detect it.

2. I had to reboot the server to get the hdd detected. THis defeates the purpose of a Hot Swap.

For now I am preclearing the hdd, it a small 80GB HDD just for testing.

Can any one shed some light how can we make the hot swapping work with Unraid. My main reason to get this working is to be able to copy huge data on my shares, which takes a lot of time on LAN. If I am able to just plug in the HDD, copy data and plus out, that would be great as then the data copy would be much faster than on LAN.

I have AHCI enables, Hot Swap bay installed and ready. Just need to know how to get this work.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sammy

Well no assistance as far as Hot Swapping goes and I cannot find much information on google. Anyway this is what I have observed till now ....

1. If I stop the array and then insert the drive, nothing happens, unraid does not detect it.

2. I had to reboot the server to get the hdd detected. THis defeates the purpose of a Hot Swap.

For now I am preclearing the hdd, it a small 80GB HDD just for testing.

Can any one shed some light how can we make the hot swapping work with Unraid. My main reason to get this working is to be able to copy huge data on my shares, which takes a lot of time on LAN. If I am able to just plug in the HDD, copy data and plus out, that would be great as then the data copy would be much faster than on LAN.

I have AHCI enables, Hot Swap bay installed and ready. Just need to know how to get this work.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sammy

unRAID does not oficially support hot swap.  With the newer betas I believe you can stop the array, insert a new drive, refresh the web page and then the new drive should be available.

unRAID does not oficially support hot swap.  With the newer betas I believe you can stop the array, insert a new drive, refresh the web page and then the new drive should be available.

Indeed, newer betas do allow hot-swap, with the array stopped.  I don't think that there is any support for hot-swap in v4.x.

Thanks friends, so shall I upgrade to 5, even though its in Beta. Would all my setting, add ons be intact, like Himachi, Squeexbox etc. Also I am planning to buy Unraid Plus, so does it make a difference, what I should do first, I mean upgrade first and purchase after or vice versa.

Thanks for all of the support ...

Regards

Sammy

PS :: If you do suggest to upgrade, please point me in the thread direction on instructions to upgrade to 5

• 7 months later...

Good thing, I found this post.  I am having the same issue when I added my 5th drive.  It read it as hda, instead of hde.  So, I will change my bios and reassign the drives.  I hope I don't lose any data from the drives.

The device names are assigned as the disks initialize.  The specific device names can change from one boot to another.

The "h" hda devices vs. "s" sda deices will depend if the disk controller is an IDE drive controller, or SATA disk controller, or an SATA controller in IDE emulation mode.  (basically you do not want the emulation, as it is typically slower)

Joe L.

Archived