Getting very slow read\write transfer speed of less than 12mb per second during data-rebuild.

What could be causing such slow transfer rate during a data-rebuild (HDD upgrade from 4TB drive to 12TB drive)?

When the data-rebuild was started, it was showing 180MB/sec transfer rate, but it quickly dropped to under 20mb/sec, and dropping as low as 3MB/sec. As noted below, it will take days, not hours, to rebuild the drive. 

Upgrade drive Seagate Exos X18 12TB 7200 RPM 512e/4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch Enterprise HDD (ST12000NM000J)

image.thumb.png.5e2da6660a1457886db7ada4808fc33e.png

tower-syslog-20230523-0824.zip tower-diagnostics-20230523-0122.zip

On 5/23/2023 at 2:40 AM, JorgeB said:

There's something else reading from disk2, stop that activity and speed should improve a lot.

After 12 hours it had only transferred 500GB with an estimated finishing time of over three weeks.  I decided to rebooted the server which reset the re-build, but the reboot improved the transfer rate dramatically. I have no idea what was slowing down the transfer rate, but after reboot I stopped all docker containers and did not start any VMs.