Unraid crashing randomly (Intel 13700H + OWC Thunderbay)

I just upgraded my Unraid server to an entirely new setup. I'm probably part of a very small group who have their drives attached to a small form factor system over USB4/Thunderbolt. My 8 data drivers reside in an OWC Thunderbay 8, and are connected to my new Minisforum NPB7 (Intel 13700H, 64GB Crucial DDR5 5200, 2TB 980 Pro NVME). 

Initially I just swapped over my 6.11 install and everything started without any issue. No problems detecting the drives, or starting containers. Even QSV transcoding is working between Plex, Tdarr, and Jellyfin. However there seems to be random crashes that happen without much warning. From what I can tell, it's not heat related, although I am going to try and adjust the TDP of the 13700H from it's 90w default. My NVME drives spikes up to the 60's in temp, but also has active cooling on it. 

I tried a few suggested fixes related to the built in Iris XE graphics that could be causing the crashes, but still no luck. I finally decided to take the leap and upgrade to 6.12RC6 since it has a much newer kernel. My thinking was that there is much more stable support for my 13th gen CPU and graphics engine. I even applied a fix of adding "i915.enable_dc=0" to my boots parameters as suggested in another thread. The system still randomly crashes. 

I just setup my syslog settings this morning to mirror the syslog to my flash drive. I haven't ever needed to pull logs before since I've never had crashes like this in all my years of using Unraid. Once another crash occurs, I will attach diagnostics and the syslog. I'm just at a loss of what is causing this. 

On a possibly unrelated note....my docker containers no longer auto-start, but I this started happening after upgrading to 6.12RC6. 

Unfortunately there's nothing relevant logged, this usually points to a hardware issue, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi bb12489, how did you solve this issue? I've also a NPB7 getting crashed several times during the day. The Minisforum suport team recommended to update to the latest 0.09 BIOS, but it didn't work.  I've run a  Memtest86 stress test for almost 5 hours without any errors (or restarts while executing it). I will install a separate OS to understand it better, but It seems to be happening just with unraid.

• 2 weeks later...