Docker - dataset does not exist

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

@ZooMassnow I ran into the same problem... do you remember how to solve it? I don't want to reinstall Docker again that sucks for a productive system. Sometimes I feel like unRAID cannot be used for productive (home) environments.

June 2024 and we are still not on ZFS 2.2. 

zfs version returns:

zfs-2.1.14-1
zfs-kmod-2.1.14-1

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2024 at 10:08 AM, sasbro97 said:

@ZooMassnow I ran into the same problem... do you remember how to solve it? I don't want to reinstall Docker again that sucks for a productive system. Sometimes I feel like unRAID cannot be used for productive (home) environments.

June 2024 and we are still not on ZFS 2.2. 

zfs version returns:

zfs-2.1.14-1
zfs-kmod-2.1.14-1

Sorry for the delay. Ultimately I did have to reinstall Docker again. Thanks to the Community Applications tab Previous Apps it wasn't terrible to re-pull all of the Docker images, but it is sadly the best solution I had. This seems to happen more frequently with an Unraid boot USB that is older/has more writes, as I experience less of this issue after I moved my Unraid key to a new USB drive. Still, I worry about Docker freezing up my entire Unraid server again. I've also tried various Docker directory types, including ZFS native overlay, btrfs image, XFS image, and the latter two but virtualized in a Zpool. I still ran into the lockup issues and do blame it on the boot drive, though I'm not sure how.

My older boot drive was not particularly old or worn, was not from an unreliable manufacturer, and did not have constant writes to it such as logs, so I'm really not sure why the drive degraded so quickly. It also makes me worry about my current Unraid boot USB. There is an arbitrary limit that you can transfer your Unraid key to a different drive UUID once a year, and to do it sooner you have to contact Limetech directly, I wish this wasn't necessary.

Anyway, just spelling out the steps I take to quickly reinstall all Dockers:

- Shut down the server

- Unplug boot USB and mount the drive on another computer, preferably not Windows because of possible CLRF line ending issues conversions

- Open the file UNRAID/config/docker.cfg and change docker_enabled="yes" to docker_enabled="no"

- Unmount the USB and plug it back into the server

- Reboot the server

- Start array if it does not start automatically. Docker should not start automatically.

- cd to the parent path of your Docker directory, for example if your Docker directory is /mnt/cache/system/docker then cd to /mnt/cache/system you should not go to the FUSE overlay /mnt/user/

- Delete the old Docker directory with rm -rf docker or move it away with mv docker docker.old

- Go to Unraid web UI tab Settings, under System Settings click Docker. Confirm your Docker directory path does not exist (docker.old will not cause a conflict, just no dir named docker) Then set Enable Docker to Yes and Apply.

- Docker is now enabled and there should be no images. Your container configs still live safely on your boot USB.

- Go to Unraid web UI tab Apps and on the left side click Previous Apps > Docker. You should see a list of all of your previously installed apps. Select all of the apps that you want to download again (you can make one continuous selection between pages, just click the next page number and your selected apps should persist) and then on the top of the page click Install Selected Applications.

- Wait a long time for Docker to pull down all of your app images again. When this is done go to the Unraid tab Docker and you should see your containers again. Confirm that your app configs persist and start the containers to confirm they work.

- Delete /mnt/cache/system/docker.old if you chose to move your old Docker directory, as it is no longer necessary and takes up lots of space.

Edited by ZooMass
Installed Apps -> Previous Apps
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, ZooMass said:

Unplug boot USB and mount the drive on another computer, preferably not Windows because of possible CLRF line ending issues conversions

Theoretically CLRF issues are dealt with automatically, IIRC all system calls to the flash config files are run through the fromdos function.