Suggested ssd for cache pool

Doing some updates to my server and seriously considering swapping the 500gb hdd cache drive for a pair of 1 or even 2tb ssds and perhaps moving the appdata off parity to speed things up as well. Would these ssds be durable enough for download cache as well as appdata https://a.co/d/6dmscSm.

Also while I am asking questions does a cache pool offer any form of redundancy or do you need to make regular backups ?

-Ryan

Hopping for some suggestions from long term users of ssds for cache, but I did a little more digging on the Samsung drives and apparently there was an issue with some of their evo drives in the past they cause them to fail quickly (need to check a laptop drive I replaced a few years ago now) so what at your thoughts on western digital blue or crucial brand 3d nand sata III ssds?

5 hours ago, Ryan B said:

I did a little more digging on the Samsung drives and apparently there was an issue with some of their evo drives in the past they cause them to fail quickly so what at your thoughts on western digital blue or crucial brand 3d nand sata III ssds?

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Samsung-860-870-More-Quirks

The problem might be fixed by now...

Regarding Crucial:

Edited by Lolight

Still looking into reliable drives, but I may have changed my mind a bit on the use of the cache pool. I may consider 2x 1tb sata ssds for the pool for the appdata directory then a 3rd 500gb-1tb sata ssd as my download drive for media using the plugin to mount the drive outside of the array. No point in having redundancy for a temp download drive

So after some research it appears the major manufactures of ssds have had some major issues over the last few years with failures, most notably samsung. Atm I am considering the WD blue sata line, but i want some form of redundancy for my appdata in cache so how do I go about making a redundant cache? Also any apps that I can setup to automaticly backup appdata or certain directories on the cache drive?

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...