Unable to upgrade from version 6.10.3

Go to solution Solved by Steve1985,

Hi,

I am currently running Unraid 6.10.3 on hardware:
intel nuc gen 8 i3

32GB RAM

1x 250 GB SSD (Samsung)

1x 1TB SSD (WD)

As far as i can tell 6.10.3 runs super stable. There is about 11 docker containers running and not much else going on in terms of load. All actual storage is mounted through NFS from a external NAS. So Unraid is used more as a server then a NAS.

So far the background. The problem:
As soon as i upgrade to the latest version the NUC goes into a rebooting loop about every 2-3 minutes. Just long enough to recover back to 6.10.3 through the GUI. I have tried this several times now over the last few months and this happens every time. Version tried today: 6.11.5 same story.

I have no idea what's causing this and also lack experience with Unraid to properly troubleshoot this. Where even to look? I reverted back now to 6.10.3 but i don't know how long this will be supported so at some point i would like to upgrade to a next version.

What are the recommendations to tackle this? Is there support that can be offered by limetech that can help me dig into this?

4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Does the boot loop occur only after array start or it does it also with the array stopped? If the latter try a new flash drive with a stock install, no key needed.

Thanks. Do i reboot without the array starting by ticking the "safe mode" box?

This is a new flash drive so i went through that all already based on a previous forum post about the same topic. I just didn't try the upgrade again because life got in the way of this hobby for a while 🙂

If I upgrade to a 6.12.rc version can i still revert back to 6.10.x?

OKay. tried again. This time

1. stop array

2. run update

3. reboot

Result:
Reboot loop got worse. Unable to load webinterface. Unable to SSH (connection refused). Ping shows it's up for a while then goes down again so back into a reboot loop but without even able to load the webinterface to revert back

Any ideas?

From 192.168.1.87 icmp_seq=1158 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.87 icmp_seq=1159 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.87 icmp_seq=1160 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.87 icmp_seq=1161 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.87 icmp_seq=1162 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.87 icmp_seq=1163 Destination Host Unreachable
64 bytes from 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=1164 ttl=64 time=1027 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=1165 ttl=64 time=2.94 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=1166 ttl=64 time=1.95 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=1167 ttl=64 time=1.72 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=1168 ttl=64 time=2.20 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=1169 ttl=64 time=1.93 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=1170 ttl=64 time=1.90 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=1171 ttl=64 time=2.12 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=1172 ttl=64 time=2.24 ms

username@Dell:~$ ssh root@annabelle
ssh: connect to host annabelle port 22: Connection refused

Update: So the above was caused by the config file returning back to default port 80 and ssh being disabled again.

Edited by Steve1985
update
  • Solution

OK based on some other topics (that were about Ryzen cpu's actually) tried to update the BIOS of the Intel NUC. updated again to 6.11.x about 1 hour ago and so far it's been stable.

So for anyone coming here through google experiencing issues with a intel NUC and unraid 6.10+: Update the BIOS to the latest version: BECFL357.86A.0092.UEFI

This seems to help.

@JorgeB Thanks for the reply. I have started logging to the Synology and the flash drive. Explored both logs. But nothing stands out (as predicted).

I did check some other things. The NUC gen 8 officially supports 2400mhz RAM. I ordered 2x 16GB as a upgrade a while back and it turns out it's 3200mhz. It was from a shop that specializes in intel NUC and only sells them and its parts and this was specifically sold to me for the gen8 so i am a bit surprised. Could this cause such weird issues? And why would it not happen on 6.10.x but from 6.11.x only?

The reboot loop has now turned to no more being a loop. I lose ping replies and the web GUI but the unit doesn't reboot anymore. The screen just goes blank. So as a test i've put back the old RAM that runs on 2400mhz and is 2x 8GB.

I am still baffled by these issues that only happen on 1 location. The only thing that's different is no keyboard/screen/mouse connected and the port on the switch.

Hi @JorgeBThank you and apologies for the late reply. Had to park this for a week as life got in the way. 

I have upgraded to 6.12. Result is almost the same but this time not a reboot anymore but the nuc just goes unresponsive. Light is still on but there is no response to ping. 

except when it’s setup in my office. I have it setup there now and it stayed stable overnight. The difference is in the office there is a screen/keyboard/mouse plugged in and i boot into GUI mode. In the rack where it’s supposed to sit it’s booted without the GUI and the only thing that’s plugged in is power and ethernet. 

any other suggestions? I am stuck at 6.11 now at least from the GUI so now i have to go through the process of manually going back to 6.10.

38 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You could boot into GUI mode all the time as that does not stop you accessing the GUI remotely.

Not if the server (NUC) is headless in a rack. As i said the place where it’s normally is in a rack with only ethernet and power connected. 
sure i could connect a keyboard and a screen while it’s in the rack but before i do that i’d like to make sense of it. Plus it wouldn’t look nice and mess with OCD 😅

11 minutes ago, Steve1985 said:

Not if the server (NUC) is headless in a rack. As i said the place where it’s normally is in a rack with only ethernet and power connected. 
sure i could connect a keyboard and a screen while it’s in the rack but before i do that i’d like to make sense of it. Plus it wouldn’t look nice and mess with OCD 😅

I boot into GUI mode all the time without a keyboard/monitor attached to my server!   It is convenient as that means if I am trouble-shooting and DO temporarily attach a keyboard + monitor I do not have to make any changes to the boot mode.

There have been cases where some people get reliable boots in GUI mode or none-GUI mode but not the other.  Not sure the reason was ever discovered why this happens.

If by any chance the server has a BIOS limitation where it refuses to boot into GUI mode without a monitor attached you can always use a dummy HDMI plug to fool it into think it has a monitor attached.

9 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I boot into GUI mode all the time without a keyboard/monitor attached to my server!   It is convenient as that means if I am trouble-shooting and DO temporarily attach a keyboard + monitor I do not have to make any changes to the boot mode.

There have been cases where some people get reliable boots in GUI mode or none-GUI mode but not the other.  Not sure the reason was ever discovered why this happens.

Ah interesting. How does one do this? 

17 minutes ago, Steve1985 said:

Ah interesting. How does one do this? 

Not quite sure what you are asking?   :( 

You can set the default boot mode by clicking on the boot drive on the Main tab (with the array stopped) and go to the Syslinux Configuration section to set the default boot mode.

That’s what i was asking. It’s 30 degrees out my brain is only working on half capacity. 
found it and put GUI as the default. 
thanks for the suggestion. Let’s see if this makes a difference. 
there’s a 11th gen nuc on the way but delayed in shipping. Hopefully it won’t have the same issues

This is interesting. If i boot straight into tje GUI the uptime is now almost 2 hours. 

slowly increasing the load by starting docker apps and still stable. 

too early for conclusions but it looks that the NUC only likes UNraid if it boots into GUI for some weird reason since version 6.11