ATLAS My Virtualized unRAID server

I actually just bought a PCI-Express USB 3.0 card, with 3 external ports and one internal port.  I plan to pass it to my unRAID VM, hoping I can then get full speeds for the flash drive and any external USB drives I may wish to use.  I'll report back with my results, as I haven't read about anyone here doing that (but there are quite a few posts I may have missed).  For $20, I thought it was a fair gamble in hopes it will work.

I actually just bought a PCI-Express USB 3.0 card, with 3 external ports and one internal port.  I plan to pass it to my unRAID VM, hoping I can then get full speeds for the flash drive and any external USB drives I may wish to use.  I'll report back with my results, as I haven't read about anyone here doing that (but there are quite a few posts I may have missed).  For $20, I thought it was a fair gamble in hopes it will work.

Thats a nice price for all it has to offer.

I am just afraid it will only work as a USB 2.0 card without the drivers (or not at all). I am not sure if they are in the latest beta's or not?

Let us know how that works and what unRAID version(s) you tested with.

I read that the Linux kernel supported USB 3.0 since 2.6.31... so I would imagine unRAID would have it?

Unfortunately, however, ESXi just doesn't want it to work.  First it made my MV8 disappear.  Then when I rearranged my cards, it did show up under the advanced configuration as "Unknown USB."  However, for the VM passthrough it was being displayed as "Unknown Unknown."  Ultimately I was unable to add any USB devices connected to it in the VM configuration.  Shame.  I bet I would have had better luck if I got a card with an NEC controller... my best guess is that that the cheapo VIA controller is the issue.

It was worth a shot.

• SATA Expansion Card(s):
    2 X SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 $109.99 each
    [This will only get you 16 drives in unRAID. you will need 3 for up to 24. Se recomended hardware below.]

Pardon me for asking(first time building a server). if i want 20 unraid drives, how many of SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 should i get? i thought supermicro mb have on board sata connector?

since i heard that norco customer service is bad and have lots of faulty backplane etc, i want to buy cable for norco from supermicro. problem is, i cant find the equivalent pars from supermicro. i am total nood.

[This will only get you 16 drives in unRAID. you will need 3 for up to 24. Se recomended hardware below.]

Pardon me for asking(first time building a server). if i want 20 unraid drives, how many of SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 should i get? i thought supermicro mb have on board sata connector?

since i heard that norco customer service is bad and have lots of faulty backplane etc, i want to buy cable for norco from supermicro. problem is, i cant find the equivalent pars from supermicro. i am total nood.

This is an ESX host build, you may wish to investigate Goliath, which is unRAID and uses motherboard ports.

I ended up buying this card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024JR2CO/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Going to pass thru the firewire to the Mac OS X guest and the USB to unRAID.

I hope you have better luck than I did, but I'm pretty sure not going with an NEC controller was my problem.  Please keep us posted on how it works out! 

Edited: Actually, considering it's USB 2.0, I think you're def good to go.  Nice find.

PS. How difficult was it to get an OS X VM?

This is an ESX host build, you may wish to investigate Goliath, which is unRAID and uses motherboard ports.

thank you for clearing up the confusion. so it means that i can just use 2 saslp and mb sata ports to get 20 drives in unraid, right?

I ended up buying this card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024JR2CO/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Going to pass thru the firewire to the Mac OS X guest and the USB to unRAID.

I hope you have better luck than I did, but I'm pretty sure not going with an NEC controller was my problem.  Please keep us posted on how it works out! 

Edited: Actually, considering it's USB 2.0, I think you're def good to go.  Nice find.

PS. How difficult was it to get an OS X VM?

It was a little difficult if you don't understand hackintoshes.  Luckily I've built quite a few of those in my day :)  Honestly tho, that's not a huge a pain since ESXi 5.0 natively supports Mac OS X on its hypervisor, you just need to make it think it's running on Mac hardware.

Here it is in a nutshell:

Patch ESXi 5.0 to remove the Mac hardware limitation, reboot.  (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=b26b9cfe2f95dd2dd64696cf47c161aa&showtopic=267296P)

Create a Mac OS X VM

Pass thru a Lion USB stick to that VM

Boot from that USB with some special parameters (Which I had to look up)

Install Lion and then VMware Tools from VMware Fusion

Caveats: 

There are some known issues with managing the Guest via vCenter.  Essentially, you can't do it. You'll have to connect directly to your host.  (see link above)

Video has gotten better, but it's not perfect.  (auto fit, 3D, etc)

The patch/unlock of ESXi can be completely undone without having to reformat your stick.  It's just flipping a bit.  Very easy to do this.  Backup your stick first anyway.

I will be re-doing my Mac guest with my new RDM SSD.  I can write up a tutorial for the forum if enough ppl think it's worth it.

Yup, it's easy to rollback.  Have you ever used PPF-O-MATIC or something similar?  It's flipping bits (afaik).  So if you want to remove the limitation of running on Mac hardware, it removes that(those) bit(s).  If you want to go back to vanilla, it restores them.  That's how I see it at least.

Update on that FW800/USB 2.0 card.  USB 2.0 passthru to unRAID works but it's still not kicking off my script when the power is pulled.  The search continues.

Update on that FW800/USB 2.0 card.  USB 2.0 passthru to unRAID works but it's still not kicking off my script when the power is pulled.  The search continues.

Is unRAID loading faster now?

I've been using the VMDK method for quite some time now so I didn't even check.  I'm sure it'd boot pretty quickly tho.  This card does have an internal USB port. 

What's really crappy is I thought that I'd be able to divvy up the FW800 and USB 2.0.  Not so with passthru.  Since they're on the same card, the unRAID won't boot if FW800 is passed thru to Lion.  It says Device is busy.  They're two different chipsets too

Screen%20Shot%202012-02-16%20at%2011.43.11%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-02-16%20at%2011.42.31%20AM.png

I ended up getting this USB 2.0 PCI-e card from Monoprice.  It's fantastic to finally get regular unRAID boot speeds. 

I was also hoping it would fix the consistent COMMLOST error I get in my Windows apcupsd slave, but unfortunately it's still happening (constantly loosing its connection then reconnecting).  Maybe it's a problem with my UPS or the cable.  Not sure if that's similar to the issue you're getting, savestheday.  I would imagine, however, with the frequent loss of connectivity that it wouldn't get the powerdown signal if the power is pulled.

I thought about it and the only time email alerts ever worked for me was when I was using the unMENU version of the APCUPSD plugin.  I uninstalled the regular plugin and went back to the unMENU version.  SUCCESS!  Now, I'm not sure whether it's a combination of the USB 2.0 card + the old plugin or if the old plugin would work with a normal USB port.  That's what I 'm going to test next.  Figured that I'd pass through the 1.5TB drive I had setup in FW800 enclosure as another RDM drive passed thru to my Lion server.  The SSD RDM is FAST!

I think the difference between the old plugin and the new is that the new defaults to USB while the old defaults to SMART.  I've tried using SMART on the new version and it didn't work. 

So everything seems to be running pretty good except: after streaming a blu-ray across the network from the virtualized unraid box i started getting the following errors in syslog and my network performance would tank:

Feb 19 02:15:30 Tower02 kernel: swapper: page allocation failure: order:3, mode:0x4020

Feb 19 02:15:30 Tower02 kernel: Pid: 0, comm: swapper Not tainted 3.0.3-unRAID #7 (Errors)

Feb 19 02:15:30 Tower02 kernel: Call Trace: (Errors)

Feb 19 02:15:30 Tower02 kernel:  [<c105f857>] warn_alloc_failed+0xb2/0xc4 (Errors)

Feb 19 02:15:30 Tower02 kernel:  [<c105ffc2>] __alloc_pages_nodemask+0x456/0x47f (Errors)

I've set unRaid to use the 2nd NIC in my SuperMicro X9SCM (Intel 82579LM using E1000 driver in VM).  After setting /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes = 8192 I was able to get the network performance back but I'm still seeing the above errors.  Any ideas?  Should I passthrough the NIC instead of trying to have the guest manage it?

Has anyone tried to run a M1015 (flashed) in ESXi without passing it to unraid?  I already have one M1015 passing to unraid and i only want to move 2 more drives to unraid and have the rest for other VMs.  Unfortunately i cant get ESXi 5 to see the adapter so that i can edit the drives.  Meaning it sees the cards and lables them correctly but they are not avalable in the starage adapter settings and there for the drives are not being seen.  I dont understand what i might be messing, any help would be great.

thx

Firstly, nice write-up up.

VT-d only allows the passthrough of the controlling chipset (ie the LSI 2008 on the M1015 card), not the devices connected to that chipset.

For the M1015 this means that it is all or nothing and you cannot select individual drives.

On another note, some other decent boards to look at for an ESXi build include;

Supermicro X9SCL/X9SCL-F (C202 so only SATA II and less PCIe slots but otherwise the same as the X9SCM-F).

Intel S1200BTL/S1200BTS (C204/C202 ESXi certified boards.  BTL has a separate connection for a 4 port SAS controller).

Supermicro X9SCI-LN4 (C204, 4 ESXi supported lan ports on the board but limited expansion slots).

If you want to go small (rare in the world of masses of storage I know) you could look at the Intel S1200KP mITX C206 board (ECC or non-ECC ram, Dual lan - one natively supported by ESXi, PCIe x16 slot - add a storage controller maybe).  Should be a fair bit cheaper than the Supermicro mITX boards.  Cheaper still, the Intel DQ67EP mITX board supports VT-d and works well.

RB

***Apologize in advance for being long-winded, and if I should move this to a separate thread, please let me know.  Just posted here as this seems to be some of the most comprehensive discussion on esxi builds on these forums.

I've been toying with doing this type of build with my unraid server for some time, and finally bit the bullet - in no small part due to the inspiration from this thread.  I have a X9SCM-F-O with a E3-1230 on its way, and am looking forward to getting to tinker with this hopefully over the weekend.  However, I'll be the first to say I'm very green to esxi, so hopefully you guys can help me come up with a few answers. 

To start off, what I'm planning on running in this box is:

Unraid server on a passed through M1015 (relatively small at the moment, only 5 2Tb’s, no cache)

Usenet box (sabnzbd/sb/cp)

Mythtv guest (possibly mythbuntu) – recording from HDHR over IP

W764 (passed through graphics as secondary system)

Odds and ends others as I go, but probably nothing too taxing

My 2 major concerns at the moment in my planning are datastores and network management.

Datastores – unraid is going to be off the flashdrive, but as for the rest, I’m not sure the best way to go.  If the W7 box works out, I may just pass through a dedicated SSD for it.  That leaves the usenet and mythtv guests. 

The usenet clients I doubt will take up much space in themselves, and I don’t think it will be a problem (?) to have them just download straight to the unraid share.  However, my real concern comes with the Mythtv guest – I intend to have it recording a fair amount from an HDHR as well as processing the recordings to mkv’s to store on unraid.  I’ve toyed with the idea of having a dedicated 1TB 7200 drive for this guest so that it can freely record/repack without interference from other VM’s. 

Is this a good way to handle this?  If so, what should I get to hold the VM’s themselves?  Would it be viable to just have a 128GB SSD hold the Mythtv and usenet VM’s in addition to the W7 VM rather than pass through an SSD to the W7 box?

Networking – I believe I read somewhere in this thread that Johnm had originally intended on passing one of the gigE ports to unraid, but then had done fine with the bandwidth and left everything through just esxi.  While my unraid usage is not very high (majority use is media, maybe 2-3 simult. streams max), my concern here is how much bandwidth will be used mostly by the mythtv VM.  With a few streams coming in from the HDHR, as well as potentially streaming out via mythbox to xbmc frontends, I really have no idea how much bandwidth this may consume. 

I love the idea of the internal 10G vlan, especially since the myth VM will likely be transferring a fair amount of data to unraid, but am I going to be running into problems at some point with all of this going through a single gigE port managed by esxi?  If so, is there some way (not too terribly hard, or at least that I could figure my way through) to have the mythtv VM be passed the second gigE port but still have all traffic to/from the other VM’s routed internally?

Other random questions:

1) Just to be clear, because of the M1015 I should be running on 5.0b12a at the latest for the LSI issue, right?  Or do I need to go back further?

2) Non-build specific question, but hopefully a quick answer - how complicated is moving drives from current unraid (plugged into mb) to new build (fresh unraid) with M1015?  I'll look up more for sure on this before I even think about switching over, but if there's a fast/easy answer, I'd love to hear that its basically plug and go =)

3) Any suggestions of the best guest OS to run usenet box under?  Never touched usenet until running it as an unraid plugin, so I don’t have prior experience to work from.  Would a thin W7 guest be terrible for this, as I wouldn’t mind dumping an air-video server on this guest as well (airvideo doesn’t get used that much, but need to put it somewhere).

4) Mythtv being fed from a HDHR prime – was planning on taking the recordings from Mythtv and stripping/repacking them as mkv’s to be dropped into unraid media library – any reason to do this in a separate guest, or is doing it within the same fine?

(Sidenote: the W7 VM with passthrough graphics I know is off the beaten path and is hit or miss – its not critical, but something I’d like to do.)