ASM1061/62 controller does not work with UNRAID for my config

Hello,

Last week, I explained that an ASM1061 controller was not working in UNRAID, for my configuration: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102010-recommended-controllers-for-unraid/?do=findComment&comment=1267945

Unfortunately, I didn't keep the diagnosis.

I acquired this other controller, based on the ASM1062 with 4 ports: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07TD57RGZ

I made a mistake (in my opinion, with 4 ports, it multiplies the SATA ports, but on this trial, only one disk was connected).

I had the same problem:

- the disks on my HBA got nothing (my array -last time, disk1 was disable because connected to the motherboard, so i move it to the hba to avoid another reconstruct-)

- on the other hand, the disks connected to my motherboard (ASRock X570S PG Riptide) were duplicated (in this case, the cache pools).

I've ordered a third card (https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0BNCHQBK8, 4 ports, ASM 1064) recommended by JorgeB (here: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102010-recommended-controllers-for-unraid/) and I'm getting it tomorrow, so I'll see what happens (the aim being to plug in 3 SATA doisks for cold backup, so speed doesn't really matter to me). But in my opinion, the problem will be the same....

Would you have a good card that plugs into a PCIe 1x 3.0 port to recommend?

Thanks a lot!

I add the diagnosis and a screenshot.

K.

ASM1062 - 4 ports.png

ASM1062 - 4 ports - yggdrasil-diagnostics-20230605-1850.zip

Edited by Keichi
Precision about disk1 disable last week, and not this time (move it from motherboard to HBA)
12 hours ago, Keichi said:

Would you have a good card that plugs into a PCIe 1x 3.0 port to recommend?

I don't run expansion cards myself but from what I've seen it's been recommended to also look for the known quality card brands, in addition to the compatible chipsets.

The card brands like Syba, IOCrest and maybe StarTech.

You are having issues with the onboard SATA controller, not the Asmedia, devices are dropping and reconnecting, they are connected to this one:

09:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901] (rev 51)
    Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901]
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci

The installed Asmedia controller is a 1064, so it should work fine.

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies.

Today, i try, same setup but after BIOS update ("test1") : same issue.

After BIOS update, but with IOCrest card ("test2") : same issue.

So... i think i should give up.

By any chance, JorgeB, do you know some add-on controller with PCIe 1x ?

I only see 4x, and there is no more 4x on my motherboard.

K.

yggdrasil.local - test1.png

yggdrasil.local - test2.png

yggdrasil-diagnostics-20230606-2009-test1.zip yggdrasil-diagnostics-20230606-2021 - test2.zip

The problem is with the onboard SATA controller, and I think now I see why, you have that controller bound to vfio-pci, remove the bind and the issue should stop.

When you add or remove hardware the PCI IDs will change, you need to correct the binds, I assume you were passing-through the Nvidia GPU, which was likely device 09:00.0 before you added the Asmedia controller, but after adding it the AMD SATA controller is now 09:00.0 and the GPU is 0a:00.0, so just correct that.