We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Removed a data disk but didn't reset array configuration

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Howdy,

I stopped my array and removed a data disk (had no critical data on it as far as I can tell) with the intention of moving it to Unassigned Devices as a standby/hotswap. I forgot to do the "reset array configuration" and went ahead and started the array back up. unRAID warned me that things were sketchy because a data disk was gone. I got a little spooked so I turned the array off, put the data disk back in its slot and turned the array back on. Now unRAID wants to do a parity sync. Ugh!

The catch is that, I have a newer parity disk that I wanted to install. Can I safely stop the parity sync, stop the array, remove that data disk from the array and reset array configuration (preserve current settings). And then pull my Parity 1 disk and replace it with the new larger Paris 1 disk. Format the data disk I pulled and put it back in its old slot? And then, Restart the array and do a parity re-build over the modified configuration?

Or should I let the parity re-sync and go through the procedure to remove a disk and reset array configuration *cleanly*?

29 minutes ago, zachlovescoffee said:

Format the data disk I pulled and put it back in its old slot?

Except for this part, sounds fine. I'm not parsing what you are trying to say here.

In general, new config allows you to assign any drive to any logical slot, and drives assigned to parity slots will be totally overwritten, drives assigned to data slots will mount and be usable if they are recognized as having a valid formatted partition. Unrecognized drives in data slots will have the option to format them, regardless of content. Sometimes previously valid drives will not be recognized until you manually set the desired format type in the disk slot settings.

So bottom line, as long as you don't put a drive with data you want to keep in a parity slot, you should be fine. No need to rebuild the removed drive if you don't need the data in that slot.

• Solution

If you have reset the array via Tools->New Config then there is no need to put the old disk back - just build parity with your new parity disk based on the data disks you want to keep in the array.    Where you physically connect the drives is irrelevant as Unraid recognises them by their serial numbers - not by where they are connected.

7 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you have reset the array via Tools->New Config then there is no need to put the old disk back - just build parity with your new parity disk based on the data disks you want to keep in the array.    Where you physically connect the drives is irrelevant as Unraid recognises them by their serial numbers - not by where they are connected.

Cool.  Then once the extended SMART stops on this new (larger) Parity1 disk, I'll drop it into the P1 slot, pull the old data disk out of the array while I figure out what I want to do with it and then start up the array and let parity re-build on the new (larger) P1 disk. Thank you!