Do I use preclear when adding new parity drive

Go to solution Solved by ConnerVT,

So delivery update new drive is due today now so looking to replace my current parity drive with it, all my drives came out of my truenas set up and were tested but this will be my first new drive for unraid so hopefully someone can help on what to do to swap parity drives

Edited by robti
  • Solution

There is no need to preclear a drive before using it for Parity.  The preclear application writes zeros to the entire drive to prepare it for use as a data drive in the Unraid array.  As installing a new Parity drive requires the parity to be rebuilt which will write to every location on the drive anyway.

Here is the relevant section from the Unraid manual for replacing a Parity drive:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management#upgrading-parity-disks

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, BRiT said:

It's not needed, but if you want to test the drive to make sure it's trustworthy and not faulty, it is a good idea to run through preclear or smart long test or other extensive workouts.

so is it quite simple what to do after installing the app ?