Interesting Problem with HDD Size Upgrade

bitfury1

Hey there!  I'm currently in the process of upgrading my HDDs and have run into a weird issue with my array.

Setup prior to upgrading sizes:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

Flash - 128GB

Parity - 6TB HDD

Disk 1 - 4TB HDD

Disk 2 - 4TB HDD

Disk 3- 4TB HDD

Cache 1 - 2TB

Cache 2 - 2TB

I followed the procedures I found on the wiki and started replacing the drives.  I started with the parity drive and got it to a 10TB.  After the parity was back in sync, I started rebuilding the other drives one by one.

I made it to this configuration with the array:

Parity - 10TB HDD

Disk 1 - 10TB HDD

Disk 2 - 10TB HDD

Disk 3- 4TB HDD

Now here's the issue.  When I try to upgrade disk 3, Unraid doesn't see the new drive.  I bought one extra 10TB just in case.  It doesn't matter which I try to use, Unraid can't see it.  I did other troubleshooting steps too

Here's the list:
Replaced the SATA cable.

Replaced the modular SATA power cable

I thought maybe both these drives are bad?  So I removed disk 2 and put in the new drive I was trying to use for disk 3 and Unraid FOUND the drive!  So I know that the drives are good drives.  For whatever reason, when I place them in the position of disk 3, unraid cannot find them.

Help!

Edited by bitfury1
3 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

Are you using the same SATA connectors on your motherboard? 

When M.2 is used on your MB, some of the SATA connectors are disabled (PCIe lanes are shared between the two, and M.2 has precedence).

I'm using exactly the same sata connectors.  All I did was disconnect the last 4TB drive and connect the 10TB with the same cables.  The 4TB works in the array.

I do not have any M.2 drives installed.

Edited by bitfury1
2 hours ago, Lolight said:

Does the drive show up in BIOS?

If not then the SATA port might have failed.

The SATA port certainly has not failed.  I put the old drive in back in and the array fired up no problem.

Edited by bitfury1
2 hours ago, bitfury1 said:

The SATA port certainly has not failed.  I put the old drive in back in and the array fired up no problem.

So,

new HDDs don't work in one port but work fine in others.

the old HDD still works in that specific port.

no M.2 drives installed.

Is there a BIOS update available?

I think it might be worth the try.

19 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Double check that, some new drive didn't work if have 3.3v, check does power cable have 4 or 5 wire.

19 hours ago, whipdancer said:

Are these shucked drives? 3.3v issue should be your problem.

This was the answer.  These are WD Ultrastar drives.  They do have 3.3v pins.  I used some electrical tape and covered the pin and now it shows up.

On 6/11/2023 at 5:05 PM, bitfury1 said:

I thought maybe both these drives are bad?  So I removed disk 2 and put in the new drive I was trying to use for disk 3 and Unraid FOUND the drive!  So I know that the drives are good drives.  For whatever reason, when I place them in the position of disk 3, unraid cannot find them.

May I ask you please to clarify?

I probably don't understand your wording.

Are you saying that the same new drive (WD Ultrastar) did show up in one SATA port but not in another during your initial attempts to connect?

Before masking the pin?

Edited by Lolight
15 hours ago, Lolight said:

May I ask you please to clarify?

I probably don't understand your wording.

Are you saying that the same new drive (WD Ultrastar) did show up in one SATA port but not in another during your initial attempts to connect?

Before masking the pin?

Yes.  I found the reason why it would show up in those other SATA ports but not this particular one.  The other SATA ports are all connected to a 3-bay enclosure that the power/SATA cables connect to in the back.  The 3-bay houses the Parity Disk, Disk 1, & Disk 2.

Disk 3 in the array connects directly to the power supply and motherboard SATA port. 

The 3-bay was negating the 3.3v pin already.  But the drive that was stand alone was not.  That's why it would show up when I would put the "not working" drive into one of the other slots.

Edited by bitfury1
  • Thanks 1