(SOLVED) Can unRAID request a static iP when ISP won't let you set one in their router DNS?

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

I know the first and obvious answer to the question of this thread is.....ditch the iSP modem / router and get your own better one.  Yup that will be the plan, but I just spent a few thousand on building a brand new server that will be dedicated to unRaid (my first time using unRaid....I am tech savy and learning fast, but there is a learning curve that first time around), so dropping another couple hundred on top of the line DOCSIS 4.0 modem and Quad-Band WiFi 6E with 10Gbps router is down the road a little bit.  

I have Xfinity (Comcast) 1.2 Gps plan.  I am using Unraid 6.12.0-rc6.  And just like Comcast denies me the freedom of using own VPN in their router (because heaven forbid to give their customer a choice that is not their own inferior product) they will not allow "home user" accounts to set a static IP for any device INSIDE my own network.  You have to pay to upgrade a "Business Plan" if I want my Nintendo Switch to always have the same IP address.

At the moment I am still building my server (and learn from mistakes as a first time user) so I do have reboot time to time.  And everytime of course I get a different IP address assigned to my Server. 

Is there anywhere unRaid can request an IP address from the DNS?

Edited by Hobbes_Is_Real
updated to (SOLVED)

That's not how DHCP works. You can set a static address in Unraid, and if the DHCP server in the router has any sense, it will see that you have a device with a fixed IP and not offer that address to another device. Most modern routers will do that, but it's not a guarantee.

So no, you can't request a static IP, but you can set an IP in Unraid and hope the router honors it.

ya, I know and that is really only what I was expecting.  I was just looking where to set it in unRaid and sure enough 5 minutes after posting I found it and set it.  I know it may not help, but hopefully won't hurt either to set..... unless other plugins / VMS / Apps look at the static setting in Network settings and see I sit it a static IP and they never bother to look at whether that is the real one or not assigned to the server.

About 20+ years ago, many 'home-type' routers did not provide settings to allow an address to be assigned as a static IP address.  What we did back then was set the static IP addresses near the very top of the IP address range to those devices which required them.  The thinking was that the DHCP process started assigning the IP addresses at the bottom of the range and work its way upward.  (I never heard of that strategy failing.  The other thing was that if the router was really assigning addresses to 200+ active devices, it would be so bogged down serving them that if it did assign a DHCP address being used by a static device, that was the least of the problems!   🙄  😈 )   OF course, you had to manually maintain accurate up-to-date records of those static addresses...

• Hobbes_Is_Real changed the title to (SOLVED) Can unRAID request a static iP when ISP won't let you set one in their router DNS?