Unmountable: unsupported or no file system

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all, 

Noticing this error after a power outage. I say noticing because I've been really busy for the last few weeks since I added this drive and it may have been there the whole time. Or maybe it's new. Honestly not sure. At any rate my last added and newest drive in the array is saying Unmountable: unsupported or no file system even when booted into maintenance mode. I'd love some help on next steps? I started to run xfs_repair but then I noticed the drive is set to auto for a file system so I wasn't even sure that was right. Diags attached. 

Thanks!

beta-diagnostics-20230615-2105.zip

Do I need to be in a certain mode (maintenance etc)?

From when the array is started:

Disk /dev/sdn: 7.28 TiB, 8001563222016 bytes, 15628053168 sectors
Disk model: ST8000NM017B-2TJ
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: F8C062CD-3423-4A8F-BAEE-836784168F0B

Device     Start         End     Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdn1     64 15628053134 15628053071  7.3T Linux filesystem

Edited by berta123
4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

It doesn't, if you think there's no data they’re probably best just to format it.

Ok I’m going to reformat. Maybe as a single disk ZFS with 6.12! Can you give any ideas of what to do to protect against this in the future (besides a full backup which I already do to stuff that is not replaceable) 

6 hours ago, berta123 said:

Ok I’m going to reformat. Maybe as a single disk ZFS with 6.12! Can you give any ideas of what to do to protect against this in the future (besides a full backup which I already do to stuff that is not replaceable) 

From my reading of this thread it is not clear there ever really was a problem, or if you had just never got around to formatting the drive after adding it to Unraid (as new drives always show as unmountable until they are formatted from within Unraid).

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

From my reading of this thread it is not clear there ever really was a problem, or if you had just never got around to formatting the drive after adding it to Unraid (as new drives always show as unmountable until they are formatted from within Unraid).

Yes that certainly is a possibility, but as evidenced by this forum this appears to be something that can happen and I’m not sure I quite understand why parity is no help in this situation. Could I have not just popped out the “unformatted” disk and replaced it with a new disk and had it rebuild the “failed” (unformatted) drive? 

33 minutes ago, berta123 said:

Could I have not just popped out the “unformatted” disk and replaced it with a new disk and had it rebuild the “failed” (unformatted) drive? 

You could have but no point as a format is MUCH quicker than a rebuild, and it would still need to be formatted afterwards anyway as a rebuild does not clear an unmountable status.