LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

Drive is in the state "device is disabled, contents emulated"

Assistance needed and appreciated - not sure how to get this drive back online.  Based on reading other posts, I have tried to move this drive to another slot in my DAS enclosure but the result is the same. 

Starting to believe that Unraid is a little too finicky and sensitive to remain stable.  I have spent months trying to get a stable system to support my media and Plex server and yet another disabled disk that is one of three brand new drives.  I gave a pass to Unraid for the 5 older working disks being disabled in 2 different enclosures and direct SATA connections.  Am I simply wrong with the frustration?

tower-diagnostics-20230616-1910.zip

Hi Jorge - I did select the disk on disk3 just to see what the system would say but never started the array.  I have everything back to the original slots, started, and exported new diags.

These were the errors flooding the syslogs prior to reboot and trying a different bay in the DAS to rule out connectivity.

Jun 15 18:25:38 Tower kernel: BTRFS error (device loop2: state EA): bdev /dev/loop2 errs: wr 13, rd 5825102, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0

Jun 15 18:25:38 Tower kernel: I/O error, dev loop2, sector 81472 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x1000 phys_seg 4 prio class 0

Jun 15 18:25:38 Tower kernel: BTRFS error (device loop2: state EA): bdev /dev/loop2 errs: wr 13, rd 5825103, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0

Jun 15 18:25:38 Tower kernel: I/O error, dev loop2, sector 605760 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x1000 phys_seg 4 prio class 0

Jun 15 18:25:38 Tower kernel: BTRFS error (device loop2: state EA): bdev /dev/loop2 errs: wr 13, rd 5825104, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0

tower-diagnostics-20230617-1556.zip

Emulated disk is mounting, assuming contents look correct you can rebuild on top:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself

13 hours ago, schollingsworth said:

These were the errors flooding the syslogs prior to reboot and trying a different bay in the DAS to rule out connectivity.

Those are about the docker image, but would need the full syslog for context.

Rebuild in process - will know in a 6ish hours if we get back operational. thank you

Questions:

In the future, when a drive gets disabled or shows failures, the key is to generate a diag before rebooting if we want to know what happened - correct?

Is it best practice to start docker containers manually?

Are there any other best practices to keep the system healthy?

Basically how can I avoid or make tuning configurations to lower the number of times the system disables disks?

28 minutes ago, schollingsworth said:

In the future, when a drive gets disabled or shows failures, the key is to generate a diag before rebooting if we want to know what happened - correct?

Yes.

28 minutes ago, schollingsworth said:

Is it best practice to start docker containers manually?

It should be fine to start them automatically.