LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

Docker getting full from Plex, need help with fixing paths

While my docker container is on the smaller side, 15GB, I have recently run into an issue of it getting full multiple times a day. These events happen at 12:23am, 10:19am, 12:28pm and they do not happen when I stop the Plex docker container. I believe this started when I enabled the Sonic feature for music in Plex. I have attached the paths I have in hopes that someone can tell me what I have set wrong, or where I need to look in order to fix this issue, maybe a path in the Plex docker itself? I posted about this before, but lacked adding some extra detail. 

I get the alert emails:

Event: Docker high image disk utilization
Subject: Warning [TOWER] - Docker image disk utilization of 75% (then a few other full warnings within a couple of minutes - 87%90%/100%)
Description: Docker utilization of image file /mnt/cache/docker.img
Importance: warning

Event: Docker image disk utilization
Subject: Notice [TOWER] - Docker image disk utilization returned to normal level
Description: Docker utilization of image file /mnt/cache/docker.img
Importance: normal

Thank you in advance. 

Please help me set my paths

Screen Shot 2023-06-18 at 5.59.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-18 at 5.59.57 AM.png

Edited by xdriver
3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It may be because you have not mapped the /transcode folder within the Plex container to a location external to the docker image so any temporary file in /transcode are written inside the image.

Would this matter if nothing is being transcoded? These full docker messages come up at the same time 3 times a day even when not in use/watching anything.

On that same note, does it make sense map the transcode folder to my cache drive or to the array? 

44 minutes ago, xdriver said:

Would this matter if nothing is being transcoded? These full docker messages come up at the same time 3 times a day even when not in use/watching anything.

What you really want to determine is what path within the container is getting files written by Plex at that time, and map that to an external location.   If it is not the /transcode path within the container then what is it?    I also notice that the screenshot does not show the mapping for the plex config folder - where is that mapped to?

In terms is where to map a location for temporary files I would think that a pool is better than the array for performance reasons, and if you have lots of spare ram you might want to consider a RAM based location.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:24 AM, itimpi said:

What you really want to determine is what path within the container is getting files written by Plex at that time, and map that to an external location.   If it is not the /transcode path within the container then what is it?    I also notice that the screenshot does not show the mapping for the plex config folder - where is that mapped to?

In terms is where to map a location for temporary files I would think that a pool is better than the array for performance reasons, and if you have lots of spare ram you might want to consider a RAM based location.

This one? /mnt/user/appdata/plex (image attached)

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 8.14.24 AM.png

On 6/18/2023 at 1:43 PM, SeeGee said:

I use a ramdisk for transcoding. Prevents necessary wear and tear on the drives. Also responds quicker.
One thing you may want to check is to see if plex is scanning your media and creating thumbnail previews... Those can occupy a lot of space on a large library.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/202197528-video-preview-thumbnails/

It just has chapter thumbnails, not the whole video, so I don't think that's it. 

How would I find out what is being written and where? Any idea what set of logs? Also, I added a shot of the confit file for Plex above, is that the one you were referring to? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk