6.12.0 System hangs on boot after update

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I also had this issue and was able to boot back into Unraid after deleting the vfio-pci.cfg file from the /boot/config/ folder in my Unraid USB boot disk. Before deleting this file, I confirmed that the hardware ID and PCI bus/slot/function listed in the vfio-pci.cfg indeed correlates to my discrete GPU and it's audio component (found under Tools > System Devices). They are:

IOMMU group 14:[1002:73ff] 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M] (rev c7)

IOMMU group 15:[1002:ab28] 03:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 21/23 HDMI/DP Audio Controller

My question is then, how do I bind my GPU to VFIO for passthrough to a VM if the vfio.pci.cfg is the file causing the boot to hang?

------------------------------

ADDENDUM: Adding the following info for context - perhaps somewhere in here lays the problem:

Yesterday evening, I installed a new EVGA 650W PSU and an Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600 graphics card on my existing Asrock Z690 Pro RS motherboard with an Intel i5-12600k CPU (w/ UHD 770 iGPU) Tasks performed:

• I dumped the vBIOS as described by S.I.1.
  • I updated my existing Ubuntu VM config with the GPU, it's sound card, and the vBIOS.
  • I navigated to Tools > System Devices and selected the GPU and audio (see devices above) to bind to VFIO at boot
  • I restarted my server
  • I started my VM and boom! It worked! I confirmed Ubuntu was using the GPU, was able to run glmark2 test (score ~14k), and played a demo game on Steam. Great, I thought. Turned off the VM and went to bed.

This morning, the VM would not boot. I recalled someone suggested making sure in the primary GPU in the BIOS is set the onboard iGPU, not the discrete GPU. So I did that, and while I was at it, I noticed SR-IOV support was disabled, so I enabled that too (thinking that might be a good idea as well). Ever since, I have not gotten my GPU to work. In fact, I am no longer able to boot Ubuntu VM using VNC. Instead, I get a UEFI Interactive Shell v2.2:

image.png.d3d93b1835248d4f2b7de838ab462c22.png

I don't know what to try next. Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated!

Edited by alayavijnana
17 minutes ago, alayavijnana said:

I also had this issue and was able to boot back into Unraid after deleting the vfio-pci.cfg file from the /boot/config/ folder in my Unraid USB boot disk. Before deleting this file, I confirmed that the hardware ID and PCI bus/slot/function listed in the vfio-pci.cfg indeed correlates to my discrete GPU and it's audio component (found under Tools > System Devices). They are:

IOMMU group 14:[1002:73ff] 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M] (rev c7)

IOMMU group 15:[1002:ab28] 03:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 21/23 HDMI/DP Audio Controller

My question is then, how do I bind my GPU to VFIO for passthrough to a VM if the vfio.pci.cfg is the file causing the boot to hang?

Do you only have one gpu in system

• 1 month later...