We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

On-board Intel Audio Missing from Devices

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

I've been using a Win VM as a daily driver for years.   Today I got a BSOD out of nowhere and it rebooted on me.  After it came up I no longer had audio.  Rebooted the unraid server itself and then the VM wouldnt even power on due to a device missing error.  I went into the VM settings and noticed that the option to select my onboard Intel audio was no longer there.  I changed the value to something else and the VM powers on now, but I don't see any mention of the Intel audio at all in my system devices.

This actually happened once a few months back and after doing a power off / power on the device came back.  I've tried that again plus multiple reboots and nothing seems to be working.  Anyone have thoughts on how to get the OS to see the onboard audio controller again?

• Solution

Flipping the switch on the PSU kills power to the motherboard, then you need to press the normal power switch to drain the residual power in the capacitors in the PSU and on the motherboard. No need to leave it off for long, just so the motherboard has no more power to maintain the failed state, and has to reinitialize from a known state.