LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

6.12.1 Docker Service failed to start | Cache pool Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Diagnostics attached.

I had an issue on 6.12 where my Docker containers would not update -- it was throwing an error saying the container name already existed. Then I noticed some of my containers were not working and all of the Database containers were stopped and would not start. I figured it may be a bug in the new stable version, so I upgraded to 6.12.1

Upon starting the array, the Docker would not start. Then I saw on the Main tab that my Cache-docker pool is showing as Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system.

Any help is much appreciated! I saw a similar thread here, but couldn't get the btrfs rescue command figured out. image.png.7104960ded958e2ee5ebeee6c885a4ee.png

homegrown-diagnostics-20230622-2105.zip

Edited by ramair02

There are read errors with the device:

Jun 22 20:59:19 homegrown kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd1): using crc32c (crc32c-intel) checksum algorithm
Jun 22 20:59:19 homegrown kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd1): using free space tree
Jun 22 20:59:19 homegrown kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd1): enabling ssd optimizations
Jun 22 20:59:19 homegrown kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd1): start tree-log replay
Jun 22 20:59:19 homegrown kernel: sd 8:0:1:0: [sdd] tag#2534 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=DRIVER_OK cmd_age=0s
Jun 22 20:59:19 homegrown kernel: sd 8:0:1:0: [sdd] tag#2534 Sense Key : 0x4 [current]
Jun 22 20:59:19 homegrown kernel: sd 8:0:1:0: [sdd] tag#2534 ASC=0x27 ASCQ=0x1
Jun 22 20:59:19 homegrown kernel: sd 8:0:1:0: [sdd] tag#2534 CDB: opcode=0x2a 2a 00 00 01 30 00 00 00 e0 00
Jun 22 20:59:19 homegrown kernel: critical target error, dev sdd, sector 77824 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x1800 phys_seg 5 prio class 2

There's already a failed long SMART test, so possibly it's failing, you can run another one to confirm.

Thanks for the reply, Jorge. I'll replace the Cache-docker (sdd) drive.

What is the best process to replace & rebuild the drive since it is unmountable -- I have appdata & vm backups from the CA plugin, but I'm only now realizing that the plugin is deprecated in 6.12. I didn't know that and since I've been on 6.12 / 6.12.1 for about a week, my last appdata & vm backups are from June 15th. If I install the new Appdata Backup plugin, will it be able to restore my backups from the previous plugin?

Assuming so, would I just shutdown the array, replace the Cache-docker drive, start the array, assign the new disk as Cache-docker and then restore appdata & vm backups?

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If it's failing you cannot do a direct replacement, you can try cloning it with ddrescue and then see if the clone can mount or be fixed.

Ok I will look into it. ddrescue is new to me. Thank you.

I found this post from you in the FAQ and was able to mount the drive to /temp and copy off all of the contents. Is that useful in rebuilding a new cache drive? 

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Yes, that's another option.

Thanks. Is there a guide to follow to rebuild cache after a failed disk? I didn't find this particular situation in the documentation. After replacing the cache drive with a new one, what's next? Reinstall all Docker containers and then copy over the appdata that I pulled off the failing drive?