Site to Site Replication for Storage

Hello, I'm in the process of ordering parts for a new plex server build. I plan on making my system site level redundant and would like advice on replicating the media across a 200 mile distance.

I can use syncthing for things like photos, but that doesn't seem to scale well with thousands of larger objects like movies and tv shows.

Neither site has a datacap.

On 6/24/2023 at 11:25 AM, eagle470 said:

replicating the media across a 200 mile distance.

I realize this isn't what you are asking, but just saying, "nothing beats the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tape backups".

Have you considered getting the system initially synced locally, then just doing differential syncs over WAN?

On 6/27/2023 at 8:10 AM, JonathanM said:

I realize this isn't what you are asking, but just saying, "nothing beats the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tape backups".

Have you considered getting the system initially synced locally, then just doing differential syncs over WAN?

thats what will happen. I'm in the process of standing up my new primary, the old system is likely to go to my sisters house, the question is, how do I keep them in sync. I have about 100,000 videos to manage.

The other question I have is this: what is the best tool to sync them locally? they have a 10Gb layer 2 connection currently.

This is where a tool that manages a private-private vpn connection like zeroteir, but have the initial connection proxied by Unraid (then passed off to a slave/master like plex) would be awesome.

Even if you charged for it, I would likely do it out of sloth. I only have so much bandwidth to devote to the shit and limited management capabilities of my sisters home network, nor is her router nearly as capable as mine (hers: stock asus, mine: udm-pro)