Upgrade parity and data drives

Hey y’all, 

wanted to get some opinions on best route to take for some upgrades. I currently have 2 x 4 TB parity drives and 4 x 4 TB data drives. I have reached 100% utilization finally. I bought 3 x 12 TB drives last Black Friday but haven’t put them in. 
I would like to move the parity drives to a single 12 TB drive and also upgrade 2 of the data drives to 12 TB as well. What would be the best way to go about this upgrade? This will be my first hardware upgrade since starting up my server so I want to do it right. :)

thanks all!

20 minutes ago, MarshallU said:

Hey y’all, 

wanted to get some opinions on best route to take for some upgrades. I currently have 2 x 4 TB parity drives and 4 x 4 TB data drives. I have reached 100% utilization finally. I bought 3 x 12 TB drives last Black Friday but haven’t put them in. 
I would like to move the parity drives to a single 12 TB drive and also upgrade 2 of the data drives to 12 TB as well. What would be the best way to go about this upgrade? This will be my first hardware upgrade since starting up my server so I want to do it right. :)

thanks all!

The first step would be to replace the existing parity1 drive with 1 of the 12TB drives and rebuild parity on that drive.

you mention replacing some of the other drives, but perhaps you should clarify exactly what mix of data drives you intend to end up with in the array.

Okay that’s at least a start. If I go down to a single parity drive, I’ll have room for 5 data drives. So I could have the other two 12 TB + three of the 4 TB. That would be my preferred setup. So my two 4 TB parity drives will be no more, then the one 4 TB drive in the data array, do I just need to hard copy all the files off it to one of the 12 TB drives?