NUT with APC Back-UPS BGM1500 biweekly test shuts down immediately

Go to solution Solved by Rysz,

I am running unRaid v 6.12.2 and Nut Plugin "NUT - Network UPS Tools" from SimonFair with an APC Back-UPS BGM1500. All is working well with one exception. Apparently the APC UPSes are set to run a test every two weeks. When this happens, the unRaid server shuts down right away without waiting for the battery level (50%) defined in settings. Since it was a test, the UPS goes right back to online, but the shutdown was already started. How do I fix this so the test will not automatically trigger a shutdown?

unraid nut details.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

I'm guessing it's because battery.charge.low is set or reported at 100% for some reason.

This'll basically shutdown your system if the battery drops just by 1% (likely to happen during testing).

You can configure this directly on your UPS or UPS software (what charge it considers as "low battery")

If this value is reported wrong from the UPS (say it's set to 30% on your UPS, but NUT still shows 100%)

You can override the value by putting into your ups.conf on line 15: override.battery.charge.low = 30

NUT should correctly report the battery.charge.low value then and act according to this value instead.

But make sure to attempt to set this value on your UPS first - this is something that should be set on UPS.

Only if it's set on UPS correctly and still reported wrong by NUT you should override the value via configuration:

grafik.png.22fef93ee654802c4a37a3ae1987ca69.png

Edited by Rysz
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

Thanks so much for your reply. I have tried this several times and unraid still shuts down every two weeks.

The Details screen now shows "battery.charge.low=30"

image.thumb.png.bcb3ff628a4ca0f9863902f84c77aa44.png

The log file constantly shows:

"Jan 16 07:34:18 Mongo usbhid-ups[4714]: ups_status_set: seems that UPS [ups] is in OL+DISCHRG state now. Is it calibrating or do you perhaps want to set 'onlinedischarge' option? Some UPS models (e.g. CyberPower UT series) emit OL+DISCHRG when offline."

How do I set the "onlinedischarge" option?

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2024 at 3:39 PM, hfuhruhurr said:

Thanks so much for your reply. I have tried this several times and unraid still shuts down every two weeks.

The Details screen now shows "battery.charge.low=30"

image.thumb.png.bcb3ff628a4ca0f9863902f84c77aa44.png

The log file constantly shows:

"Jan 16 07:34:18 Mongo usbhid-ups[4714]: ups_status_set: seems that UPS [ups] is in OL+DISCHRG state now. Is it calibrating or do you perhaps want to set 'onlinedischarge' option? Some UPS models (e.g. CyberPower UT series) emit OL+DISCHRG when offline."

How do I set the "onlinedischarge" option?

I see that you were using the older NUT 2.8.0 backend when you posted your response, is this still a problem with the newer and now default NUT 2.8.1. backend? Also please post in the NUT Support Thread next time so that your answer doesn't go unnoticed as it unfortunately was in this topic.

Edited by Rysz