CANNOT START ARRAY - "WRONG POOL STATE ; CACHE - TOO MANY MISSING/WRONG DEVICES"

Go to solution Solved by Zedflix,

I have rebooted my server and am unable to start my array as my cache pool shows my cache device as "missing". The system shows a warning that the drive is missing, but it is definitely there in the pool. 

Array shows "Configuration Valid", but when I attempt to start, I get a Wrong Pool State error (see screenshots).

Is there a workaround for this issue as I am unable to start my array?

Missing.jpg

Configuration Valid.png

wrong.png

zed-diagnostics-20230702-1257.zip

• Solution

UPDATE: I found a workaround for my case. Here is what I did, in case anyone else experiences this in the future:

1. Created a new pool called "temp"

2. Removed the drive that was causing issues from the cache pool, then added it to temp. Unraid asked if I wanted to start the array with the cache pool empty, and I said yes. (Note: I wasn't able to simply remove the drive from the cache pool and start the array previously, as I received the wrong pool error - the trick was to move it temporarily to a new pool).

3. When the array was started, there was an option to format the drive in the new pool. I did NOT do that, but instead stopped the array one again.

4. When the array was stopped, I removed the drive from the temp pool, and put it back into the cache pool. I was then able to start the array as normal.

5. Once I confirmed all was working, I deleted the cache pool.

This seems to me like a bug. I'm glad it was fairly straightforward to resolve. I had previously been shrinking the cache pool size be removing drives (one at a time) in accordance with the steps outlined in the FAQ. It had been working well, until I happened to restart and encountered this issue. Hopefully this information is of use to someone. 

If there's a better process or workaround to deal with this kind of issue in future, please let me know. 

I am having the same issue as the above poster.  I always have this issue (with array or with a pool drive) when I go to replace a disk in the array with a larger one. It never works out like the guide instructions says. So far I have been able to work around it. But I would like to get to the bottom of it as one day I may not be able to do the work around. 

So when you say "erase" do you mean (see screenshots), actually click the erase button or do you mean go into the shares and remove all instances of the pool being called out there? 

I have exactly the same problem with an Array disk swap out.  It seems to never work out as the instructions say it should be

screenshot 1.png

screenshot 2.png

7 minutes ago, Tommy B. said:

It never works out like the guide instructions says.

You are you seeing the instructions, at leas the ones in the FAQ say you cannot directly replace a single cache device, and note that it won't copy the data from the old device.

8 minutes ago, Tommy B. said:

I have exactly the same problem with an Array disk swap out. 

This error cannot happen when replacing an array device, it's a pool specific issue.

52 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You are you seeing the instructions, at leas the ones in the FAQ say you cannot directly replace a single cache device, and note that it won't copy the data from the old device.

This error cannot happen when replacing an array device, it's a pool specific issue.

See screenshot. I have looked through the FAQs and nothing there.. Not sure unRaid moved information or not. Can you send me a link to it?

I misspoke about the "exact" same error. Let me clarify. All the videos I have watched has said " it replace an array disk, stop the array, removed the disk from the slot that you want to replace, power down, replace drive, power up, put the new disk in the slot, start array, and the array should rebuild." Every time I have done that i get an error to the effects of "wrong array state" too many missing devices" and array will not start.. I have post about this in the forum somewhere but by the time it was asked for the diagnostic file, I had already had a work around..  All I am saying is that it doesn't seem to be as easy as the videos or the step through guide that I found on the unraid "how tos". I am still new to unraid so it can be user error.. There seems to be some part of the process missing..

Screenshot 3.png

12 hours ago, Tommy B. said:

I have looked through the FAQs and nothing there.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=480419

12 hours ago, Tommy B. said:

stop the array, removed the disk from the slot that you want to replace, power down, replace drive, power up, put the new disk in the slot, start array, and the array should rebuild." Every time I have done that i get an error to the effects of "wrong array state" too many missing devices" and array will not start..

That suggests the array has other issues, like another invalid disk, if you see this again start a new thread and post the diags.

• 6 months later...

In my case, everything was perfectly fine all I wanted to do was replace my old 256gb nvme Cache with a 1tb model.  I had the mover move everything off cache onto the array and verified the cache drive was empty.  Replaced the nvme Cache and I get the same exact error as above.  The marked solution works but a shorter version from another post https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89115-unmountable-too-many-missingmisplaced-devices-every-time/ does basically the same thing.  Just start the array without a cache drive - have to click the button next to Start "Yes I want to do this" to make it 'forget' the cache drive.  Stop the array, then select the new cache drive / start array again and win.

Posting here because this is the first result when googling.

• Thanks 2