The Crypt: My first build

Hi! My name is Xavier and I'm a freelance web developer from Barcelona (Spain). This is my first build and will be replacing my previous WHS server. The build is based on Raj's 15 Drive Budget Box and will be used in conjunction with the other devices in my home network (Gigabit Ethernet and WiFi N):

- iMac 21.5" Mid.2011 (running OS X Lion 10.7.1)

- MacBook 13" Late 2006 (running OS X Lion 10.7.1)

- HTPC Mac Mini Mid.2010 (running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Plex)

- Windows gaming rig (running Windows 7 SP1 x64)

- Netbook Asus 1008ha (running Ubuntu 11.04)

OS at time of building: unRAID 4.6 Pro (now running 4.7)

CPU: 2.7 GHz AMD Sempron 140

Motherboard: Asus M4A78LT-M

RAM: 2 GB Kingston DDR3 1333

Case: Nexus Prominent 9

Drive Cage(s): ICY DOCK MB455SPF-B (3)

Power Supply: CORSAIR CX 500W

SATA Expansion Card(s): Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, PCI-Express x1 Controller Card (Silicon Image SIL3132)

Cables: SATA Cables (8), 3ware Serial Attached SCSI CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M (2), 4 Pin Molex PC IDE Female to 15 SATA Male Power Adapters (5)

Fans: All stock fans in the case (moved the front fan to the back), replaced the Icy-Dock cages stock fans with more silent ones: Tacens Aura 80x80

Flash: 4 GB Cruzer Blade

Parity Drive: 2 TB Samsung HD240UI

Data Drives: 1.5 TB WD Green EARS (2), 1.5 TB WD Green EADS (2), 1 TB WD Green EAVS (2), 1TB Samsung HD103UJ, 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12

Cache Drive: 750 GB Samsung HD753LJ

Total Drive Capacity: 15 Drives

Current Array Capacity: 10 TB

Primary Use: Data and media storage, backups.

Likes: Quiet and runs cool, easy upgradability, geek factor  ;)

Dislikes: Having to replace the original Icy-Dock cages fans, issues with the new OS X Lion

Add Ons Used: preclear, unMenu, s3.sh sleep script, "Simple Features" plugin, unRAID 4.7 Time Machine support

Future Plans: Running Plex Media Server, Torrent and Dropbox clients in the unRAID box

Boot (peak): n/a

Idle (avg): n/a

Active (avg): n/a

Light use (avg): n/a

Some pictures:

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

Update: Added an Intel PRO 1000/GT NIC to the setup to replace the onboard faulty network adapter.

Update 2: Added unRAID 4.7 Time Machine support (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17009.0)

Thanks for the replies!

About replacing the Icy-Dock fans: The original fans don't use standard connectors, so replacing them involves:

- Unsoldering the wires of the original fans

- Replacing the fan

- Soldering the new fan power wires to the connector in the plastic cage

In my case I found that the fans that I chose triggered the Icy-Dock's Fan Fail alarm, even when the fans appeared to be running normal. That's probably because the new fan's RPM is lower than the original one's. To disable the alarm I had to bend the connectors not used by the power wires (see the picture). Not the best solution but its working.

icydock.jpg

P.D. All the credit for the rug goes to Ikea

• 2 months later...

the tabs on this case are a little shorter then most so it made for an interesting  time to get them started, but the metal is also a little softer then most cases in that region. so it makes that a bit easier once you get started.

err is that a cookie monster skin rug? that is so wrong :P

oh, yeah, nice build. i love that case...