Pikvm output stops at certain point in boot process

Go to solution Solved by Maginos,

Hi guys,

as the title suggests, I have a question concerning pikvm.

The base of my unraid server is a Asus Prime Z590-A motherboard and an Intel i5-11400 with Intel UHD 730.

Since I use the iGPU for Plex transcoding or Handbrake, I had to put in a dedicated GPU for pikvm, which is a GT 710. So the pikvm is connected to the GT 710.

Unfortunately, the pikvm stops at a certain point in the boot process and doesn't show the console prompt, as you can see in the picture.

I bound the VGA controller and the Audio device of the GT 710 to VFIO at boot, but that didn't help.

What else can I do to make pikvm show the whole boot process again?

Thank you for your help!

Maginos

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-09 um 22.43.29.png

• 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, leutnantlurch said:

Hmm okay, I had a simmilar issue with the BliKVM, I fixed the problem with reformatting and reimaging the SD Card with the pikvm image. But unfortunately that doesn't help you :(

Oh man. It should not be necessary to do that. I really like the functionality of pikvm, but that annoys me.
Maybe I will search for help on the discord server.

3 hours ago, Maginos said:

Oh man. It should not be necessary to do that. I really like the functionality of pikvm, but that annoys me.
Maybe I will search for help on the discord server.

Could it be the console is being set to a resolution the pi cannot support or refresh rate not sure if kernal video= may help to set thar?

On 11/13/2023 at 7:46 PM, SimonF said:

Could it be the console is being set to a resolution the pi cannot support or refresh rate not sure if kernal video= may help to set thar?

If the resolution of the console is not supported by the pi/pikvm, wouldn't there be no video output at all at the pikvm?

Btw, I use a Raspberry Pi 4 for the pikvm, so it should support resolutions up to 4K60p.

Or do you think the boot process starts with a resolution the pi/pikvm supports and at a certain point it changes to a resolution, which is not supported by the pi/pikvm? This seems unlikely to me.

Concerning your suggestion with "kernal video=", where do I have to put that and is it correct? kernal vs kernel.

• 3 weeks later...

Second news to share:

With the BIOS setting "Auto" as primary display, I can get to the login prompt as normal, when I connect the pikvm to the HDMI port of the mainboard. 

When I select "PCIE" in the BIOS and connect the pikvm to the GT 710, I get to the same point as posted above. 

So how can I tell unraid, that it should use the GT 710 as primary display?