Disk 1 disabled, SMART status says healthy?

So, I overlooked an email notification from my Unraid server a few days ago:

Event: Unraid array errors
Subject: Warning [UNRAID] - array has errors
Description: Array has 1 disk with read errors
Importance: warning

Disk 1 - Hitachi_HUS724040ALE640_PK2361PAGD73YW (sde) (errors 878)

I have since logged in and saw that Disk 1 was disabled. The server was power-cycled (may have been a mistake on my part?), and when it came back up, the next notification was:

Event: Unraid array errors
Subject: Notice [UNRAID] - array turned good
Description: Array has 0 disks with read errors
Importance: normal

Of course, Disk 1 is still disabled, because as I understand it, once it errors and is disabled, it can't be re-enabled, it (or a replacement disk) would have to be re-added to the array and the array rebuilt from parity. Is that accurate? The SMART status says healthy, for whatever that's worth.

Still an Unraid noob here, so I'm looking for guidance and next steps. I've read through a number of similar threads, but the scenarios diverge and bit, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. SMART and Diagnostic reports attached.

unraid-diagnostics-20230712-1401.zip unraid-smart-20230712-1322.zip

Edited by mgeoff
23 minutes ago, trurl said:

Since you rebooted before getting diagnostics, we can't see why the disk was disabled, since syslog is in RAM.

All your disks are pretty old. Did you test them before trusting them in your server?

That's what I was afraid of. Didn't realize it didn't persist all logging data through reboots, my error there.

Re: the disks, they are cheapo server pulls from eBay, as there's nothing mission critical on this server. SMART tests were run but that's all, not sure if you had other specific tests in mind. That particular disk has been in there for about 8 months without issue.

9 hours ago, mgeoff said:

That's what I was afraid of. Didn't realize it didn't persist all logging data through reboots, my error there.

Re: the disks, they are cheapo server pulls from eBay, as there's nothing mission critical on this server. SMART tests were run but that's all, not sure if you had other specific tests in mind. That particular disk has been in there for about 8 months without issue.

Was it the Extended SMART tests - passing those is normally OK.

The other commonly used way to stress test a disk before using adding to the Unraid array is to run a pre-clear on it.

Since the data's not mission critical, I went ahead and started the process of rebuilding onto the same disk. I'll monitor and see how that completes, and if I run into any further health issues with that disk, I'll grab the relevant logs before rebooting.