is there a linux CHKDSK for NTFS since NTFSFIX says run chkdsk

so i having issues... everytime i use windows on my ntfs drive  and i shut down properly.. and when i shove into unraid  and mount i always get told its unclean.. and when i try to copy to the drive its always read only..  

so normally i have to shove backinto a windows machine  or a windows VM   run check disk  to fix it  before i can use in unraid

i tried this NTFSFIX  but it gives me issues   and then tells me 

i cant seem to do it by "BY-ID"    only by /DEV/SD01     but since each time you plug in  you get a different SDx  or whatever i trying to repair by BY ID but its not working

root@Tardis:~# ntfsfix /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD6003FFBX-68MU3N0_V9J4LJ1L
Mounting volume... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
NTFS signature is missing.
Trying the alternate boot sector
Unrecoverable error
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.
root@Tardis:~# ntfsfix -n /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD6003FFBX-68MU3N0_V9J4LJ1L
Mounting volume... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
NTFS signature is missing.
Trying the alternate boot sector
Unrecoverable error
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.
No change made

and does unraid have a chkdsk  like it says to use?    has anyone solved it this kinda issue...  i thought i could have done it through the UD forums for scripts but found out it has to be fixed before you can mount.. so maybe someone else has been able to repair it

what i wanna do is 

each time i plug the external hard drives in  in a script it will do a windows check disk repair  then ill have it mount the drive and copy files to the external hard drive..  since each time i plug into windows  and shut down properly  unraid tells me i didnt shut down and it puts the hard drive in read only mode

is there an unraid plugin  that fix's  ntfs drives  so you can call the plugin to scan the drives 

Edited by comet424
  • comet424 changed the title to is there a linux CHKDSK for NTFS since NTFSFIX says run chkdsk

@JonathanM  ah ok ya thats what i thought... but seems i always get the  errors when i try to rsync my music back on unraid... its a pain ...   and since the letters keep changing on the /dev/sdx   its a pain  too so i cant do just do it in the script for mounting...    i going to try couple ways as i gotta play music tomorrow and sat night...  sat morning ill retry the ntfsfix  couple ways.... and then sat night after gig ill try running check disk before i shut down then sunday i retest with rsync  

as its a pain  to re mount it in windows  and then re hook up to unraid ...   but who knows nothings perfect.. and its frustrating i tell ya