Unraid on QNAP or Synology? - looking for dedicated NAS unit for unraid

KptnKMan

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice or experiences with running Unraid on QNAP/Synology/Other dedicated hardware.

Hopefully someone out there can provide some general or specific recommendations for this?

I'm a pretty happy user of unraid, and I'm looking to expand with a dedicated NAS system for array network storage.

At the moment, I have 2 Unraid systems on AMD Ryzen that I use daily, but I'm looking to reduce my electricity usage by moving storage and essential storage to a centralised NAS unit, and leave my primary/secondary as compute nodes that I can switch off when not in use.

The idea is to be able to offload tasks from my more hungry systems and make a NAS unit my always-on 24/7 system.

I've been looking into specs and videos of QNAP and Synology NAS boxes, and I have been reading that Unraid runs on these without too much difficulty, but I've read mixed reports about how much.

In a perfect world I'd love to get something like a Synology DS2422+ with 12 bays and just expand as I go, but I'm not sure if this will run Unraid at all.

Realistically, I've tried to break it down to a definite set of requirements that I think will work for my background needs/workloads (NAS, plex, sonarr/radarr, wordpress, nextcloud).

My requirements:

- 8+ 3.5" bays for array

- m.2 NVME port(s)

- 10Gbit Networking

- Preferably under 1k euros/dollars for unit

- Preferably new

Nice to have:

- GPU for Plex hardware acceleration

- Enough oomph for VMs

Units I've looked at:

- Synology DS1821+ (8 bay, m.2 slots)

- QNAP TS-832PX-4G (8 bay, 10Gbit onboard)

- Synology DS2422+ (12 bay