[Solved] Syslog enabled but no logs in share...

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

• Solution

With those settings nothing is going to be recorded as those settings just set up the server to be listening.  There are 2 ways to get something recorded:

• use the Mirror to Flash option (normally the easiest).   In this case the results are put into the ‘logs’ folder on the flash drive..
  • put the IP address of the Unraid server into the Remote syslog server setting.   In this case the results are put into folder specified in the settings.
  • andyd changed the title to [Solved] Syslog enabled but no logs in share...
  • 6 months later...

@itimpi,

I have applied these settings but there is nothing being logged on the logs share. Should the ip address be 127.0.0.1 or the external address given by the router as in these settings? 

image.thumb.png.ead85ec5df7895061a20654e837ffb2b.png

Is the mirror to flash mandatory? Am i missing something regarding the ports? Is there a simple way to test if the syslog server responds to messages? I have tried this:
```
nc -w0 -u 192.168.90.1 514 <<< "testing again from my home machine"
```

But no logs appear.

Thanks for your effort

Edited by Ronald Brinkerink

If the remote syslog server field has the address of your Unraid server so it is logging to itself then you should see files appearing in the 'logs' share.

The Mirror to flash is optional, but it is often easy to set up for a short term exercise.   It has the advantage that it does not need the network or the array to be working for it to successfully log and it can also catch a bit more when things start going wrong.   The main reason for not using it on a long term basis is to avoid unneeded wear on the flash drive.