some questions before I buy

Hello all,

I am thinking about unRaid for some time now, but I have a set of questions before I buy.

1. Let's assume I am fine to have a seperate designated box run unRaid and nothing else. What specs should I be looking for then? I ask since OOM is the most prevalent issue on my NAS-boxes.
  2. Also, as far as I understand, there is no block based parity. So, if my largest volume is 24TB, and the smallest is 4TB (24+16+12+8+8+8+8+4+4+4+4), what kind of free space (or free drive) would I have to look for to accommodate the parity?
  3. If I lose a volume (eg. 4TB), can I use a larger one to recover to (like 12TB)? Would I lose any space on the new one?
  4. Most of my Volumes are either NTFS or NFS/SMB-Shares. Can those volumes be integrated into unRaid?
  5. Let's assume one (or more) volume temporarily goes offline or is not reachable. Does unRaid wait for it to come back, or does it start rebuilding immediately?
  6. What would be the result if I manage all volumes with unRaid?  Would I end up with one 100TB Volume?

I hope I did not ask too many questions. Thanks for your time answering. Have a great day.

R

2. Each parity drive must be at least as large as the largest single data drive. You can have 0, 1, or 2 parity drives.
  3. You can rebuild a drive to any drive the same size or larger. But not larger than parity (see the parity swap procedure for a workaround).
  4. Unraid can mount and read/write NTFS and other filesystems, and network shares, using the Unassigned Devices plugin. These volumes will not be part of the parity array or pools.
  5. Unraid will disable a disk (kick it out of the array) when a write fails. The disk will then be emulated by the parity calculation until rebuilt. Unraid will not automatically rebuild anything. You must fix whatever caused the problem then get Unraid to rebuild it, possibly to a new disk.
  6. User Shares allow folders to span disks. Each user share has settings which control how it uses the disks.