Reusing drives across arrays.

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have just increased one of my arrays 12TB drives with a larger drive. I now want to reuse this 12TB drive in my backup system and obviously it still has all of the 'old' outgoing data on it which is no longer needed.  The drive is still in unraid format so i'm wondering do i just repeat the process i used to switch in a larger drive and replace any drive on my backup system with this 12TB WITHOUT the need to reformat or delete any of the 12TB contents. Will Unraid just rebuild the image of the existing backup drive onto my 12TB drive as if it didnt already have data on it? It would save a lot of time and effort if thats how it works. I'm concerned that it may just 'import' whats on the old drive at the expense of whats currently known to the backup system. That would be a disaster! Cheers!

Edited by superloopy1

Yes.

The drive will not retain the information coming from it's previous home.  All that goes away.  unRAID will treat it like a new empty drive and make it ready for it's new home.  It's previous life will be lost.

Edit add: it will populate as if it is the drive you are replacing.

Edited by Veah
  • Thanks 1
  • Solution
1 hour ago, superloopy1 said:

But will it rebuild it as per the drive it is replacing and NOT add it as a new empty drive, that's my question.

If it replaces a drive then it will be rebuilt with that drives contents.   Its current contents are irrelevant as the rebuild process overwrites every sector in the drive.  

If it is added as a new drive then any existing contents will first be cleared so again any existing content is irrelevant.

• Thanks 1