Files Not Writing to All Disks Included in Share

Hi Folks,

I have some shares that were previously only using some disks (e.g. Disks 1, 2, 5, 6). As I've expanded, replaced drives, I've updated all shares to span across all disks (e.g. Disks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6).

After updating the shares to include all disks, I noticed the free space didn't add up to what it should be. Upon investigation, the folders with the share name were missing from the newly added disks 3 & 4, so I manually created them on each disk and the amount of free space is now matching.

Today when I went to copy ~500GB from one share to another that had ~4TB free, I kept getting 'No space left on device' errors. I was doing this via the web terminal with standard commands (cp -r -v /mnt/user/Share1 /mnt/user/Share2).

All shares I have are using the High-Water Allocation method, and Split Level is set to Automatically split any directory as required. As a workaround, instead of copying from Share1 to Share2, instead I copied from Share1 to the Disk3/Share2 directory so as to put it directly on the disk that has the free space. While this works, it's definitely not ideal!

Any ideas what could be going wrong here? Please let me know if there's anything I can provide that will help, thanks so much!

16 minutes ago, ProgVirus said:

Hi Folks,

I have some shares that were previously only using some disks (e.g. Disks 1, 2, 5, 6). As I've expanded, replaced drives, I've updated all shares to span across all disks (e.g. Disks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6).

After updating the shares to include all disks, I noticed the free space didn't add up to what it should be. Upon investigation, the folders with the share name were missing from the newly added disks 3 & 4, so I manually created them on each disk and the amount of free space is now matching.

Today when I went to copy ~500GB from one share to another that had ~4TB free, I kept getting 'No space left on device' errors. I was doing this via the web terminal with standard commands (cp -r -v /mnt/user/Share1 /mnt/user/Share2).

All shares I have are using the High-Water Allocation method, and Split Level is set to Automatically split any directory as required. As a workaround, instead of copying from Share1 to Share2, instead I copied from Share1 to the Disk3/Share2 directory so as to put it directly on the disk that has the free space. While this works, it's definitely not ideal!

Any ideas what could be going wrong here? Please let me know if there's anything I can provide that will help, thanks so much!

Please post your system's diagnostics zip file so we can see what other settings you have that may be relevant.

Certainly, in this case I was moving from the Downloads share to the Staging share. Here's something else I noticed - my Minimum Free Space for shares was set to 7.5% for some and 10% for others, which is quite a lot for 8TB drives. Could this be the cause of the issue? I've since lowered to a flat 100GB for each share.

Thanks again for the eyes and support!