Impact on parity using Midnight Commander to move Files between disks

lehe

Hey guys, I'm still pretty new to using unraid as my main backup server.
Yesterday I moved a bunch of uncritical data from the array to an unprotected drive in a separate pool using RenMov in MC to free up some space on the array.

I moved the files from /mnt/disk1/Share 1/Folder/Movies to /mnt/unprotected disk/Share 2/Folder/Movies/ .
The main page says that the parity is still in tact, but while moving the files to the other drive, the parity drive did not do any writes or reads, so I wonder if this has affected the parity on the main array?
Should I do a full parity check to be sure?

Check disk1 to see if Share 2 was created there, and the files never actually moved to a different disk, just a different folder. The user share system is sometimes hard for people to understand, and it's easy to make a mistake while moving things. User shares and disk or pool names shouldn't be mixed in a copy or move command, it can cause data loss if you don't understand what's going on behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, lehe said:

But how can it be that the parity is still ok if nothing has been changed on the parity drive and the files have been deleted from the disk in the array?

Parity has to have some reads/writes, if it doesn't the files were not moved, at least not correctly.

30 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Check disk1 to see if Share 2 was created there, and the files never actually moved to a different disk, just a different folder

The share was not created there and the space on both drives changed according to the size of the data.

33 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

User shares and disk or pool names shouldn't be mixed

This is what I read before and why I chose /mnt/disk1/ and /mnt/poolname/ for the transfer and not /mnt/user/ .
Is it better to copy/move between the shares in /mnt/user/ ?

15 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Parity has to have some reads/writes, if it doesn't the files were not moved, at least not correctly.

This is what made me wonder in the first place, and what I saw when I normally wrote to the array. But it had none when I checked, or at least not more than a few B/s, so it could have written to the parity disk later or after the move was complete.
Would the system somehow know that the files are missing and the parity is not valid if it did not move correctly with MC, or does it only show
after checking the parity again?

4 minutes ago, lehe said:

what I saw when I normally wrote to the array.

You mentioned moving files from the array to a pool, this will only make very small writes to parity, to updated metadata once each file is deleted, it's much less then the writes you see when writing to the array.

• Thanks 1