New USB Flash Drive

Go to solution Solved by live4soccer7,

I went to upgrade to the latest unraidOS today and I was kindly reminded after downloading that there wasn't enough space on my flash drive to proceed with the update. I have a 1GB (I believe sandisk) that has been in the machine for roughly 10 yrs. It works great. I've always been hesitant on the USB drive aspect. I'm looking at the below drive based a thread I read on here suggesting USB 2.0, physically big drive for cooling, name brand, and 32GB or less.

It there an obviously better choice? It appears this one is actually shipped by "SanDisk". There isn't much as far as local options due to the restrictions just mentioned above.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ36-016G-B35/dp/B001XURP8G/ref=asc_df_B001XURP8G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309833041189&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=205899312137281135&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033706&hvtargid=pla-439330151692&th=1

Edited by live4soccer7

Check out the manual.  This is about replacing the flash stick, but contains recommendations.  There is a note about SanDisk and counterfeit GUIDs.  Maybe that's why you mention shipped by SanDisk?  I would also say make sure the drive isn't one of those encrypted containers.   https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/changing-the-flash-device

I've used the 2.0 version of this for the last 7 years with no issues.  I already owned it, but choose it because of it's smaller physical size (never heard of a big stick for cooling).  It's 16 GB and I'm not even using 1 GB.  I just took advantage of the 15% discounted basic license and coincidentally happen to have another 32 GB which I'll use for the new license.  https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-DataTraveler-DTSE9G2-16GB/dp/B00SOL9ZSA

Thank you very much. I'm reading over the material now. Mine uses about 700MB, but I think with the download of the OS itself, extraction, and then retaining the previous files for the option to revert is what is making it need more space during the actual process. 

Edit: Unfortunately, all the amazon links are sold out between the one you got and the "best one" according to spaceinvader. I was able to find one that he got on ebay. Here's to hoping for the best.

Edited by live4soccer7
44 minutes ago, live4soccer7 said:

Thank you very much. I'm reading over the material now. Mine uses about 700MB, but I think with the download of the OS itself, extraction, and then retaining the previous files for the option to revert is what is making it need more space during the actual process. 

Edit: Unfortunately, all the amazon links are sold out between the one you got and the "best one" according to spaceinvader. I was able to find one that he got on ebay. Here's to hoping for the best.

You should be able to upgrade your current flash drive if you used the Manual Update process as it does not need space for the previous release.

It's funny, I watched the video after replying and was surprised mine was selected for review.  Then when he talks about 5 year warranty on inexpensive items and says all of them are getting trashed I got scared.  I was relieved it ranked #2 😀

I didn't mean to get your hopes up, but I mainly just included link for visual reference.  Good luck.  Odds are you'll be fine with whatever you go with.

On 8/11/2023 at 4:36 PM, live4soccer7 said:

ebay is probably the worst place to get the stick.

The trick is to minimize chances of getting a fake one, regardless of the model.