Installing pcie nic takes out disk controller

Hey all, I was wondering if I could get some help troubleshooting an issue. I have an older AMD based system that runs unraid, I think the board is a B350. Everything runs great. I use a 5 port pcie based disk controller to extend my sata capacity. Works great, probably a bit slow but for me it's perfect. I wanted to install a 2.5gb nic so I bought an RTL based pcie card. When I plug in the card and boot, the pcie disk controller seems to be missing. Unplug the card, pcie controller is back.

It may be the case I've run out of pcie lanes or something, as I also have an RTX 2060 in the box, but I was wondering if there's anything I could do to troubleshoot. Under system devices I see this when the nic is not plugged in (the RTL card is the onboard)

[10ec:8168] 21:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
[197b:0585] 22:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB58x AHCI SATA controller
				[9:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      INTEL SSDSA2CW12 0362  /dev/sdd    120GB
				[10:0:0:0]   disk    ATA      WDC WD20EFRX-68E 0A80  /dev/sde   2.00TB
				[11:0:0:0]   disk    ATA      ST6000DM003-2CY1 0001  /dev/sdf   6.00TB
				[12:0:0:0]   disk    ATA      WDC WD20EFRX-68A 0A80  /dev/sdg   2.00TB
				[13:0:0:0]   disk    ATA      WDC WD60EFAX-68J 0A83  /dev/sdh   6.00TB

With the pcie nic installed, the SATA Controller is missing and the nic is at address 24:00.0.

Thanks!

Just to make sure the JMB wasn't really there, it should not be a not enough lanes issue, according to the board manual using any of the PCIe x1 slots makes the x4 slot x2 only, but the JMB585 is x2, so that should not be a problem, unless it's removing the 1st two lanes form the x4 slot, not the last two, in that case it wouldn't work.

31 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Not that I know off, though assuming the controller uses an x4 physical connection, it might be the controller using the last 2 lanes, if that's the case it won't be the board's fault.

Got ya. Guess I'm kind of hosed. I'll see if there's any kind of BIOS update or anything which might change it.

Thanks for the input.

Just wanted to follow up on this real quick. I moved some stuff around, I put the gpu into the port which becomes 2x when using one of the x1 ports and the disk controller into where the gpu was. The gpu is only used for frigate acceleration and transcoding plex so I figure to pcie lanes is probably enough for it. After I did that I'm able to use the nic, the controller and the gpu. Thanks for the insight!

Now I'm on the hunt for a cheap x470 board or maybe a newer cpu and board, but that's low priority for now.

• Like 1