Expected write speeds

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello, I've seen posted that expected write speeds for unraid are arount 50MB/Sec with no cache. I also understand that there is a "reconstruct write" feature that can improve this. Before I make an investment in hardware to run unraid, I'd like to have an idea of what I can expect. Can you let me know roughly what speeds are expected with four reasonably fast 7200RPM HDDs in dual-parity mode (say, WD DC HC530's, which can write at ~270MB/Sec) in both standard write mode and in reconstruct write mode, assuming that a decent SATA controller is being used?

One more Q -- Is it possible to enable turbo-write with invalid parity (eg, a new array with parity sync paused), or will it always default to normal mode? I ask because I was experimenting around with this using a kind of jank setup (USB HDDs), and I was getting ~70mb/sec with reconstruct_write on, and I'm wondering if it was due to the poor hardware or the lack of valid parity.

On 8/14/2023 at 1:51 PM, JorgeB said:

50-70MB/s in normal mode, close to 270MB/s with turbo write when the disks are empty, they will slow down as they fill up.

Thanks for your insight. Due to your feedback I switched from a 4-bay USB HDD DAS enclosure to installing a 6x sata adapter in an NVME slot (I'm hosting on a mini PC to reduce power consumption) and I'm now getting 270MB/s writes. With the USB enclosure, I was maxing out at ~170MB/s with two parity and one data drives. For anyone who finds this via Google, the top USB enclosure on Amazon (Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2) was terrible and maxed out at ~50MB/s regardless of mode & didn't properly pass through drive serial numbers (although some sketch firmware that I found online fixed that). The Terramaster D4-300 was faster, had a better topology (4x separate controllers tied to an internal USB hub), and properly passed through serial numbers ... but was still a big bottleneck. If you don't have SATA on your motherboard or a PCIe slot, an NVMe-to-SATA adapter is definitely the way to go.

• 5 months later...