Disk Disabled

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Good evening,

A few weeks ago, i came across a Disk Disabled. i didnt noticed any issues until i checked the GUI, after setting and forgetting the server. i was wondering what could of happened? What i can tell there is a i/o error on disk 9. (im learning i swear, haha)

i will assume that i will need to replace a disk and rebuild from partiy disk.   can i replace this disk with a larger disk than the disable disk that is within the size limits of the array? do i need to replace it with the same size and then replace that disk with the larger one?

Attached are the latest diagnostics.

thank you

nastradamus-diagnostics-20230818-0157.zip

3 hours ago, Olymoly said:

can i replace this disk with a larger disk than the disable disk that is within the size limits of the array?

You can replace it with a larger disk if it is no larger than the smallest parity drive.    If you want to upgrade parity to a larger size and use the old parity drive as the replacement then there is the parity swap procedure for this special case.

17 hours ago, itimpi said:

You can replace it with a larger disk if it is no larger than the smallest parity drive.    If you want to upgrade parity to a larger size and use the old parity drive as the replacement then there is the parity swap procedure for this special case.

i have a cold spare 16tb, i have dual paritied 16tb drives. the drive that failed the extended smart test is 8tb.

based on the first  part of your answer, i could replace the drive with the 16tb cold spare.  i would not need a parity swap as i dont need to update parity to a larger size.

3 hours ago, Olymoly said:

based on the first  part of your answer, i could replace the drive with the 16tb cold spare.  i would not need a parity swap as i dont need to update parity to a larger size

Yes.   If you put in the 16TB drive Unraid will first rebuild the contents of the 8TB drive and after completing the rebuild expand the file system to fill the whole 16TB. 

If the full 16TB is not immediately made available after the rebuild you made need to reboot to get this to happen (although in theory this should not be required).

just of a bit of clearity, ill just shutdown, pull the disk and replace it with a new disk? rebuild from there?

seems simple enough, also i just remembered that i dont have an open slot for another drive either for preclear etc.

Edited by Olymoly
  • 4 months later...
On 8/19/2023 at 4:52 AM, Olymoly said:

seems simple enough, also i just remembered that i dont have an open slot for another drive either for preclear etc.

after ive pulled the old disk and replace with a new disk,  can i start the array while parity emulating the missing disk and preclear the new disk before i rebuild parity on the new disk.

would i just start the array with a rebuild and preclear? would this cause an issue?

3 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can but I would just rebuild to get the array back to protected as soon as possible.

cool, as i thought. as this is my greatest worry.  just wanted wanted a second opinion given the emphasis on how important is it to preclear a new disk.

thank again jorge

6 minutes ago, Olymoly said:

cool, as i thought. as this is my greatest worry.  just wanted wanted a second opinion given the emphasis on how important is it to preclear a new disk.

thank again jorge

A preclear is not as important if you are using it as a replacement disk as the rebuild process writes to every sector anyway.