Unraid GUI Crashing with larger rsync or unBALALANCE file moves

-C-

I'm moving files around so I can start making use of ZFS. This issue has been going on for most of this year, but I've rarely needed to move large amounts of data around so haven't spent much time on troubleshooting.

I started doing large moves using rsync via CLI and had problems, so moved to unBALANCE as it gives better visibility of what's going on. The crashing appears to be the same when I use either method.

I find that the move completes correctly, but the main Unraid GUI becomes unreachable after a while. So for example, the whole move may take 5 hours, but the GUI becomes unreachable after 2 hours. If I try to connect with the "Array - Unraid Monitor" Android app while the GUI's borked, it displays a "Sever error" message. When the Unraid GUI is down, the unBALANCE GUI is not affected and still runs fine.

I created the attached diagnostics while unBALANCE was running. It was a 172GB move, took nearly 50 mins and completed successfully.

This is what top looked like while the GUI was crashed after an earlier, larger move. This was many hours after the move had finished. No dockers or VMs running:1516639004_Screenshot2023-08-20123516-GUIcrashed-hoursafterrunningUnbalance.thumb.png.be7b35f6810d01834a7c654eba8d833a.png

tower-diagnostics-20230820-1400.zip

9 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You can enable the syslog server and post that after a crash, to see if there's something relevant logged, don't see anything in the diags posted.

Thanks for checking the diags- I have some more moving to do and will be sure to post the logs.

7 hours ago, sphbecker said:

I also use rsync and had an issue with my GUI crashing, but I never made the connection. For me, the issue seemed to stop when I upgraded to 6.12.3, but that could also be coincidence. I don't put a ton of data on my server to need to sync.

Interesting. I've not been able to find another example of someone having the same issue, so somewhat reassuring to know I'm (possibly) not the only one.

Then again, this was happening when I first started using Unraid last year (6.11.3). I didn't upgrade until the 6.12 releases came out and have kept up to date since then. Unfortunately the problem has persisted across all of the versions I've been on.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a large unBALANCE transfer and, typically, it all went without a hitch.

image.png.a9ff31ec1d62eb09c9c0380ea501a508.png

Not sure why it took so long, but it completed successfully and when finished the Unraid GUI was still running fine. Will continue to monitor the situation and will post if things go awry again.