Plex and Emby in parallel Operation

0x3
Go to solution Solved by 0x3,

After a few years of Plex, I play with the thought of switching back to Emby.

Plex is becoming more and more bloatware and I get extremely annoyed by the lack of an offline login. In addition, I simply don't use most of the features of Plex. Now I want to give Emby again a try and install it in parallel.

Does the test work if the library is embedded as read-only in Emby? What data does Emby write into the library folders? Does someone run both in parallel and have some tips for me?

Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, 0x3 said:

Plex is becoming more and more bloatware and I get extremely annoyed by the lack of an offline login.

Since you are looking at options, I recommend giving jellyfin a try as well. I have a premier Emby setup, but have jellyfin as a backup if Emby doesn't want to act right for some reason. I like the totally free model of jellyfin, even if it doesn't have all the options of the paid stuff.

I just installed Emby as read-only and that works so far.

19 hours ago, CS01-HS said:

Yes. By default I think only subtitles save to the library directories but you can disable that.

Thank you. Watch state is not so important to me. However, I've customised a lot of covers, because I don't like names, channel logos or FSK information on the covers. But I might just have to configure them again.

12 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Since you are looking at options, I recommend giving jellyfin a try as well.

Because of the open source idea, I was also on Jellyfin, but I had some problems with it. But that was a few years ago. Maybe I'll take the opportunity and give Jellyfin another chance. Thanks.

Edited by 0x3