Low power CPU

16 hours ago, etsi said:

I just run a few dockers, I won't use much VM's only for testing or a Linux VM. Only for backup and sometimes I play videos direct from the server. What CPU would you suggest to use, low Tdp, low idle power?

If buying new then any of the later gens Intel i3s (non-F SKU).

Why are you concerned with low TDP?

Low TDP doesn't mean better efficiency, especially at idle.

• 4 weeks later...

No one publishes idle draw specs. Best you can do is see what people claim as idle power for different systems and/or apply rules of thumb.

TDP would estimate max draw if it wasn't gamed so much. Neither Intel nor AMD is being reasonable with that spec anymore.

The conventional wisdom is to slap an i3 on an ITX board if you want a power efficient Unraid box. There are more exotic solutions, but they will compromise on cost/convince/features.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Intel N100 has just 9 PCIe 3.0 lanes and the ASRock N100DC board is a waste of money if you ask me.

You can go with the classical Topton/Kingnovy GreenPCB N5105-NAS Mainboard with onboard ASM1166 and 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes (just 1 less wont make much of a difference), that one at least has everything you might need and is also capable of doing Plex HW-Acceleration (sold on Amazon).

Both are hardly performance monsters and will not scale if you want to do more.

If that's your only NAS i'd really go with the recommendation to go with LGA1201/LGA1700 instead. Here's some really good insight about that:

https://mattgadient.com/7-watts-idle-on-intel-12th-13th-gen-the-foundation-for-building-a-low-power-server-nas/

Edited by jit-010101
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1