Read errors - disk emulated

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi, suddenly I had read errors on two hard drives. One was disabled, the other was not. Both SMART values are ok, both hard drives are on the same power cable. After I stopped the array and restarted, the errors on both hard drives were gone, but one hard drive remains disabled and as emulated.

I don't know much about this and am afraid I am doing something wrong.

I have two parity hard drives.

Is there anyone out there that can help me?

I also have the logs since this morning.

Thank you very much in advance.

syslog.txt

Have the server unfortunately already restarted and only afterwards read that i can only save them before.

Just did a SMART test on the hard drive and I was recommended by a friend to restore the data, so data rebuild because everything else is ok only the hard drive was disabled, should I do that?

Restored the data and everything ran smoothly for 2 days, now 32 errors again, last time it was 128.

This time I have saved the diagnostics.

I hadn't replaced the cable yet because I don't have a replacement.

Maybe @JorgeB can help me again?

If it's really just the cable, I'll order a new one later to install it tomorrow. 

Thanks in advance

unraid-diagnostics-20230904-1522.zip

Edited by extrakaese
23 minutes ago, extrakaese said:

right when the hard drive started from the spindown.

5 minutes after spin up, so most likely unrelated, but you can disable spin down to see if it helps.

24 minutes ago, extrakaese said:

Is it safe to use such a cable?

I prefer using splitters that only split one plug into two, though for molex can be OK, but IMHO should still be avoided.

32 minutes ago, extrakaese said:

Ok, I have a Molex/SATA adapter there, but one of those that are separate and not tight together.

And the errors came last time and this time, right when the hard drive started from the spindown.

Is it safe to use such a cable?
Because of "Molex to SATA, lose all your data".

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would expect that to be fine because the SATA connectors are all 'crimped' to the power lines.   

Ok, thanks. Apparently it is not so easy to find "crimped" 2-1 in Germany, so now I ordered the 4-1 and will install it tomorrow and connect to only 2 hard drives.

Is there anything else I need to consider?

The harddisk is connected to a HBA controller, so I'll use one of the other SATA connectors, if that's the problem.

So it probably can not be something else, just power/connection?

If there are errors again, I'll post it here again. :)

Thanks for your help

6 minutes ago, extrakaese said:

Ok, thanks. Apparently it is not so easy to find "crimped" 2-1 in Germany, so now I ordered the 4-1 and will install it tomorrow and connect to only 2 hard drives.

I think with molex on the PSU side you can normally get away with 4-way splitter.    Not something I would want do if the PSU side is SATA as they are not rated for as high a current.

2 minutes ago, extrakaese said:

Sorry, don't quite understand what you mean by that? I don't understand that much about these things so far. Am still relatively new to these things. 😕

SATA -> SATA splitter cables are available but I would never split a SATA cable more than 2 ways although I would be happy with splitting a molex -> SATA cable 4 ways.

• Thanks 1