2 VMs on Unraid with same VLAN - no comms

Tomo82
Go to solution Solved by Tomo82,

Hi All,

Hope someone can help... (I searched both the Legacy and new Docs and there was not a single entry for VLAN ☹️)

I have a pfsense VM and a Windows 10 VM, both on same Unraid host, sharing same VLAN 4000. Pfsense is set to use br0 (with VLAN4000 configured to use LAN) and the Win10 has br0.4000. I have tried assigning both VM dedicated interfaces in Unraid and making sure they are both on the same bridge - but Win10 still refuses to grab a valid IP. And also Win10 on br0 and setting vlan inside - nothing is ever received.

I am fairly sure it's not a pfsense config issue, as I have a Unifi docker with a Guest Wifi VLAN, and clients are pulling DHCP and internet through the VLAN 100 from pfsense with no problems. Also in a packet capture I see the unraid docker bridge talking the pfsense VLAN 4000 interface IP.

In the Unraid network settings I have just the VLAN 4000 configured...should I remove it? But then I lose the ability to give the win10 VM a VLAN nic directly.

Any help appreciated 🙂

ungb-diagnostics-20230907-1746.zip

21 hours ago, Tomo82 said:

I am fairly sure it's not a pfsense config issue

You need ensure pfsense have a work DHCP on vlan.4000

vlan 4000 seems not a usual no., pls also try some less then 1000, in this case, even there are no hardware switch inside.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/which-series-switch-supports-vlan-up-to-4000/td-p/2063058

Edited by Vr2Io

Hi Vr2lo,

Thanks for your reply, I remember the VLAN numbers go above 4000 (it's been some years since I did my CCNA course yikes) - I will try a lower number VLAN later (I can't shut down pfsense to change Unraid network settings at the moment). I made a diagram of the setup I am using, please see attached.

vlan problem.drawio (1).png