Unraid 6.12.3 - Moving to new rig and need sanity check

AlainF
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello,

In the coming days I will finalize building my new rig for Unraid, and will need to move my disks over to that new machine and replicate my disk setup etc. I have read documentation and tutorials about how to proceed and just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Below is my current disk setup.

The current shares

1826327505_Unraidshares.thumb.png.ea08c38c7d9e8a208610e0e698caa620.png

The disks

1733162938_DiskIDs.thumb.png.ff6d939845eab87c0a13c143101a95a0.png

1. In my new rig, I will have an additional 2 x 2TB nvme drives that I plan to use as the new cache drives, replacing the above two Samsung SSDs.
  2. I plan to re-use those freed up 2 x 1TB SSDs to hold the data of what is currently "Dockerpool" above, to save the docker image and in the future possibly some VMs etc.
  3. So in the above, the Kingston nvme0n1 drive will effectively NOT be moved out of the old Unraid rig.

My questions:

1. To recreate the array without issues, I just have to make sure to re-assign the array disks by their ID to the correct slots once the disks have moved over to the new machine, right?
  2. To replace the cache drives, I will first have to change the cache preferences for all shares so that everything gets moved to the array disks with Mover, and once the disks are moved and the new 2 x 2TB nvme cache pool is ready in the new rig, change the cache preference settings again to what they were and run mover again in the new rig, correct?
  3. For the docker.img (residing on dockerpool above), the easiest seems to create the "dockerpool" pool in the new rig using the 2 Samsung SSDs that previously were the cache pool, re-create a fresh docker.img on there, and then use appdata backup and "reinstall previous apps" to recreate my docker containers and reapply all of the settings? This seems to be easier and quicker than trying to move/copy the original docker.img?
  4. Is there anything else I need to be aware of when moving my existing disks and setup over to the new rig?

Many thanks!!

3 hours ago, AlainF said:

To recreate the array without issues, I just have to make sure to re-assign the array disks by their ID to the correct slots once the disks have moved over to the new machine, right?

Unraid recognises disks by their serial numbers - not by where they are connected so physical connection order does not matter.

If you have any hardware passed through to VMs then it is highly likely that the hardware IDs will be different on the new system so you should make sure no VMs are set to autostart, and remove any passed through hardware settings.    You can reset these as required once the system is up and running on the ne hardware.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, itimpi said:

Unraid recognises disks by their serial numbers - not by where they are connected so physical connection order does not matter.

If you have any hardware passed through to VMs then it is highly likely that the hardware IDs will be different on the new system so you should make sure no VMs are set to autostart, and remove any passed through hardware settings.    You can reset these as required once the system is up and running on the ne hardware.

So I do not need to worry about anything (re-assigning manually etc) but really just connect and power up and done (for that aspect) ?

21 hours ago, itimpi said:

Yes.

I changed my motherboard on a very old system, was kind of freaking out over the whole process... I asked here, a question much like yours... and yes it is really that easy!  Took longer to swap motherboards than it did to restore the server to operation!

Edited by mattw
Fix typo's, was distracted.
  • Like 1