Dual Ethernet Question

jrabkid

Hey folks, I am wondering if it is possible to have 2 ethernet ports active on my unraid server. Let me explain. I have the usual main 1GB port connected to network switch for the house to access however the server also has a 2.5GB port as well as my PC. Is it possible to have a direct "crossover" link between my main pc and the server while having the 1GB port deal with the rest of the house without buying a 2.5gb network switch. I have crossover cables etc here but have no idea how I would go about configuring unraid for that matter if it was to work. 

All help greatly appreciated as usual. Thank you.

• 5 months later...

Trying to use the IP address. 

My 1GB Port has a IP of 192.168.1.255

So I set the 2nd port on the server to 10.10.20.199 like in the video thinking it would work as his primary address was that so I'll just reverse them. So on my pc I enter up of 10.10.20.199 to the 2.5gb port like shown in the video but the pc will not connect to the server or let.ke map a drive nor will it let me try and ping the server. However I think my subnet may be the same on both but I don't know what to change the server to or how as.it doesn't really explain on the video. So using 255.255.255.0 but I think my 1gb line uses the same as assigned by my internet provider.