Parity Check taking excessive time

StephenCND
Go to solution Solved by StephenCND,

Greetings everyone.
My system is attempting to run a parity check, but the eta is way out there (57 days). The parity check has been running closed to 24 hours and was at 3% completed. I have since aborted the parity check. It had found 18 errors at the time. (Also note the 576 errors on disk 4, however Smart Test (included)  isn't showing anything out of the ordinary I believe)  Sounds like a failing drive but....?  I looked at other similar posts but not sure I have the same situation.  All the drives seem to be functioning (no drives with a red "x"). I will include my system log  along with a couple of screen caps. (If you need the diagnostics zip, let me know)
Any assistance would be greatly ap preciated.

Unraid_Array.jpg

Array_Opperation.jpg

syslog.zip

Smart_Test_Disk4.zip

diagnostics20232509.zip

Edited by StephenCND
Added info & docs

Might be getting ahead of myself here, but if I am to replace a HDD, there is something about my drives that have to be considered. Appart from the cache pool which are both SSD, the other drives (both storage and parity) are all WD Red's. These feature SMR (Shingled magnetic)  recording technology, as oposed to WD Red Plus, which are CMR (Conventional Magnetic) recording technology. One of the reasons I adopted Unraid instead of TrueNas, is that the latter's file system (ZFS) does not play nice with SMR drives. So my question is, is it ok to replace a defective SMR drive in Unraid with a CMR drive, with the understanding that I maintain my Unraid's current file system as xfs ?

Hello JorgeB,

I went into the Bios setting and changed "PCH Sata Control Mode" from "IDE" to "AHCI".
Note, there were 2 other settings in the Bios that may or not be relevant to this discussion, but were left as-is (see below).
"Onboard IDE Controller" set to "Auto" (other options are ""Enabled" or "Disabled")

"Sata Port0-3 Native Mode" set to "Enabled" (other option is "Disabled"

I've included 2 screen caps, as well as Diag and Syslog zip files.

It's now showing that there are 2 drives with disk errors.

Let me know if you require additional information.

ParityCheck.jpg.c1e761dd645e8a8b34c06fa5a152c910.jpg

Array.thumb.jpg.f642be5967501fc3fc7e82a5417e6ebf.jpgnasterminal1-diagnostics-20230925-1453.zipnasterminal1-syslog-20230925-1855.zip 

Edited by StephenCND