UNRAID stuck on /bzroot . . .ok

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello everyone

I am completely new to unraid and servers, so I'll just explain the problem I have and how I got there as good as possible.

So I recently build myself an unraid server and had it up and running for about 2 weeks. Everything was working fine. So far I had only created a couple shares and installed Jellyfin, which was working nicely. As a next step I wanted to install NextCloud, which I did using the 2022 toutorial from Spaceinvader One:

I had Nextcloud, mariadb and swag installed on my system and then got stuck around 12:40 minutes in the video, where he opens up the terminal and types in the command. I tried to do the same, but it wouldn't work for me (I don't remember the exact error I got in the terminal) So I just left the window open and figured I would somehow solve the issue a bit later. On the same day I tried to acces Jellyfin from my TV, which didn't work anymore. It said, it couldn't reach the server. So I went back to the unraid webui, which suddenly looked really wrong. Just like this picture from another thread:

WebUI.thumb.PNG.2f3e6a07677ebbc74307af1d48011df4.PNG

I then thought it would be wise to just shut down the server and restart it to see, if the issue with the webui and Jellyfin remained. When I tried to restart the automatic boot would not work anymore, so I tried booting from bios. Now when I get to the bootscreen it always freezes at /bzroot . . .ok.

When I try to switch to "safe mode" it immediately freezes, when hitting the Tab button on the keyboard.

I found many people with similar issues on this forum but there are some things which I haven't seen in combination with this problem:

Can't switch boot mode / freezes when hitting Tab button on keyboard

System was running fine prior to incident (not a first boot issue)

No changes in hardware were made

Only change in software was the isntallation of NextCloud, mariadb and swag

Since I'm completely new to unraid an servers in general, I haven't done a lot of trouble shooting.

What I did so far is:

checking bios: fastboot disabled

checking the usb drive: It's a usb 2.0 stick with 32gb from Verbatim. I used "chkdsk" and got no errors from the drive.

tried booting without the keyboard plugged in: same result

cleared CMOS on the motherboard: same result

My hardware is:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B660-i

CPU: Intel Core I5-13500

Memory: 2x Kingston FURY 16GB DDR5 5200MT/s (total 32GB)

Array: 2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 14 TB

Cash pool: Crucial P3plus 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe4.0 M.2 SSD and Patriot Memory P300 256GB M.2 SSD 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen 3x4 Internal SSD (SSD was always running a bit hot around 60° C)

I have no idea what to do anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you guys!

Thanks for the reply.

So according to the manual the problem most likely lies in the Linux core

Linux core: This is the stage at which the syslinux boot loader takes over from the BIOS and starts loading the files specified in the syslinux.cfg file.

This is when the core Linux system is loaded from the flash drive and unpacked into RAM.

There will be messages on the console about the various bz* types being loaded into RAM.

If there are any error messages displayed while loading these files then it normally indicates a problem with the flash drive.

There will then be messages displayed as Linux starts up and detects the hardware environment.

I suspect it was caused by an unclean shutdown during the time I still had the terminal open and shut down the server...

Another common reason for an unclean shutdown is having a terminal session open.  Unraid will not force them to shut down, but instead waits for them to be terminated while the shutdown timer is running.  After the overall shutdown timer runs out, the server is forced to shutdown.

Should I try with a clean reinstall of unraid?