SMART error, unsure how to procede

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I just bought and installed a couple hard drives into my existing array. I added one drive as a second parity, and when it finished the rebuild there were some SMART errors:

197Current pending sector0x0012100100000Old ageAlwaysNever16

198Offline uncorrectable0x0010100100000Old ageOfflineNever16

I've attached the SMART report on the drive.

Can I clear these errors?

Are these normal?

Should I seek a replacement for the drive because of these errors?

I'm looking for guidance as I've never had to deal with errors like this before.

ST14000DM001-2JC101_ZHZ3V4G7-20231003-1719.txt

4 minutes ago, Squirreljester said:

Is there a way to not have the whole array rebuild every time I add a disk?

Not sure what you mean by this?   When you add a disk that is not pre-cleared before adding it then Unraid will perform a ‘Clear’ operation it to set it all zeroes.    This is not an array rebuild.

11 hours ago, itimpi said:

Not sure what you mean by this?   When you add a disk that is not pre-cleared before adding it then Unraid will perform a ‘Clear’ operation it to set it all zeroes.    This is not an array rebuild.

Every time I install a disk, boot the server, stop the array, add the disk to the array, and then spin up the array again, it initiates an array rebuild and I need to wait 15 hours for that to finish.

Also, how can I pre-clear the drive? Is it an option before I add a drive to the array?

7 hours ago, Squirreljester said:

Every time I install a disk, boot the server, stop the array, add the disk to the array, and then spin up the array again, it initiates an array rebuild and I need to wait 15 hours for that to finish.

It should not be initiating a rebuild - it should be initiating a disk Clear (which can take some time to complete).   If you are sure it is a array rebuild then diagnostics taken while this is happening might help with diagnosing why.

7 hours ago, Squirreljester said:

Also, how can I pre-clear the drive? Is it an option before I add a drive to the array?

It can most easily be done by using the Unassigned Devices preclear plugin that can be installed via the Apps tab.   The preclear can be done before adding it to the array and if done correctly when you get around to the add it happens almost immediately.   Note however that the preclear process via the plugin can take longer than the Unraid built-in 'Clear' process as it does more than a simple preclear as it also stress tests the drive, but it can be done with the array otherwise operating normally.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

It should not be initiating a rebuild - it should be initiating a disk Clear (which can take some time to complete).   If you are sure it is a array rebuild then diagnostics taken while this is happening might help with diagnosing why.

It can most easily be done by using the Unassigned Devices preclear plugin that can be installed via the Apps tab.   The preclear can be done before adding it to the array and if done correctly when you get around to the add it happens almost immediately.   Note however that the preclear process via the plugin can take longer than the Unraid built-in 'Clear' process as it does more than a simple preclear as it also stress tests the drive, but it can be done with the array otherwise operating normally.

It 100% is doing an array rebuild, it's done it twice so far in the past 3 days while I'm adding drives. Am I doing something wrong in my process of adding other than not pre-clearing? My Array rebuild status is: Last check completed on Fri 6 Oct 2023 02:37:35 AM PDT (today)

There's 2 pre-clear apps, Unassigned Devices Preclear and there's a Binhex-Preclear. Which one should I get?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Squirreljester said:

It 100% is doing an array rebuild, it's done it twice so far in the past 3 days while I'm adding drives. Am I doing something wrong in my process of adding other than not pre-clearing? My Array rebuild status is: Last check completed on Fri 6 Oct 2023 02:37:35 AM PDT (today)

There's 2 pre-clear apps, Unassigned Devices Preclear and there's a Binhex-Preclear. Which one should I get?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Assuming you are following the process documented here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page then it should not be rebuilding - merely clearing the disk.   As I said if it rebuilds unexpectedly then make sure you get diagnostics taken after the rebuild starts so we have a chance of seeing why.

1 hour ago, Squirreljester said:

I thought there were more than 2 😊.    I would go with the UD one as better integrated into the GUI but it is up to you.

• Like 1
On 10/6/2023 at 8:42 AM, itimpi said:

Assuming you are following the process documented here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page then it should not be rebuilding - merely clearing the disk.   As I said if it rebuilds unexpectedly then make sure you get diagnostics taken after the rebuild starts so we have a chance of seeing why.

I thought there were more than 2 😊.    I would go with the UD one as better integrated into the GUI but it is up to you.

I just had to replace a drive due to read errors and it started a rebuild. I grabbed diagnostics and attached them.

weechflix-diagnostics-20231008-0923.zip