Can't map shares from Win XP

I've got an old WinXP machine that was virtualized a couple of months back after its native PC died, its got files that need to be salvaged but the user of the said machine is refusing to do it any other way other than accessing it "natively" from said installation (his environment and whatnot).

Problem is - connecting USB sticks to the virtual machine doesnt work, so I've resorted to trying to map a share and have the user directly transfer files to the share. Problem is, it simply won't connect. The error that at first popped up was "there are a maximum users using this share" or something like that (the winxp is in native language so that's a rough translation), so I've created a new user and assigned it to the share and tried connecting with those credentials, now it's saying that it doesn't exist.

I've checked the workgroup for SMB settings, it's the same as the WinXP machine. I've put the share into public mode. When I check network places, I don't see it. When I try to map a network drive, it doesn't work.

What can I do to force it to work? Thanks

Support for the outdated authentication method XP uses has been removed from the Linux kernel unraid uses, so you're not going to get it to connect. 

For my old machine dabbling I have an Alpine Linux VM with smb installed with all the settings for legacy connections, and that shares a 9p mount from unraid.

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Support for the outdated authentication method XP uses has been removed from the Linux kernel unraid uses, so you're not going to get it to connect. 

For my old machine dabbling I have an Alpine Linux VM with smb installed with all the settings for legacy connections, and that shares a 9p mount from unraid.

Well that kind of sucks 😕

Could you go into any more detail regarding your solution?

3 hours ago, Victor90 said:

but the user of the said machine is refusing to do it any other way other than accessing it "natively" from said installation (his environment and whatnot

There does come a time when you have to simply tell the person that this 'position' means that he does not really want to recover that data from that computer.  Windows XP has been at EOL for over nine years now for very good reason-- it is unsecurable and allowing a computer running XP to connect to a modern network is a real risk to that network! 

Your best hope might be to look for some old hardware that still works and install either Windows XP on it or a Linux version from the 2010 era that you can still get a SMB version of that same vintage to install on it.  Then set up a peer-to-peer network to connect the two.  (You might consider looking for a Laptop rather than a desktop as video drivers can be a problem with newer hardware...)

It is possible that the hard drive is a PATA drive and you may need a PATA-to-SATA adapter even if you remove it...

Good luck! 

5 hours ago, Victor90 said:

Could you go into any more detail regarding your solution?

Pretty complex and long to detail the whole thing...

But if you have a linux machine that has a kernel that didn't drop NTLMv1 and samba, you need to add this to /etc/samba/smb.conf

lanman auth = yes
client lanman auth = yes
client plaintext auth = yes
ntlm auth = yes
server min protocol = nt1

6 hours ago, Victor90 said:

Problem is - connecting USB sticks to the virtual machine doesnt work

So if I understand well you need files from the VM, not from the hardware machine... Then just duplicate the vdisk and mount it on another machine. Heck they should have backup copies of it already anyway. 

Edited by Kilrah