Made a mistake! LSI 9207-8i stuck with PCIE x4 when it should be in x8.

Hello,

I have two LSI 9207-8i's running for my 16 HDDs. I installed DiskSpeed and saw that one of these was "downgraded" and it's drives benchmarks were clearly slower than the other one:

Fast Controller:

image.png.75f2ab49784a62cf8069ca49a0636bf1.png

image.png.275f53e4eb4aaace7fef7e8376a7e859.png

Slow Controller:

image.png.4192059479da857388de72e22682b09e.png

image.png.07ac7a3fd0e8f95cce07d943dd104872.png

I did some digging and found this command which elaborated more on my issue:

lspci -vv
08:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)

LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s, Width x4 (downgraded)
                        TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

Width x4, I guess the card is for x8 though I did not realize that at the time of purchasing it. The Manual clearly states it supports up to x8 so I am losing some speed but it's hard to tell how much. 

Here are what options I'm thinking but I'd love a second opinion: 

• Live with half my drives being slower in a way that is hard to qualtify 
    • The same Exos X20 drive benchmarked at 270 MB/s on the x4 card and at 280 MB/s on the x16 card so it doesn't seem that bad
  • Get something like StorageTekPro STP-9300-16i which is also x8 for 16 drives (dunno how that adds up) and use the true x16 PCIE slot
    • This thing looks like it runs even hotter than the ones I have which I mounted fans on. Would set me back $$ too. 
  • Get some PCIE to SATA and use that + my onboard SATA's 
    • Seems like a cheap option but then I'd have more of a mess of cables than I do already

My motherboard supports bifurcation to go from x16 to x8/x8 but I think that means set a single slot into an x8/x8 mode which doesn't make much sense to me. If I could split the 16 lans across both 16 lenght slots it would be an easy fix but I don't think I am that lucky. 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

container

Thanks for the reply! Are you reffering to this thread? 

Good to know this isn't my bottleneck. My parity checks and disk rebuilds/upgrades are taking two days. Maybe it's just that I have some really slow drives in the array.

image.png.c7234df37f622385b83f7322fe1a4c6e.png

I will replace disk 6 next which benchmarked @ 160 MB/s while Disk 11 on the same controller got 270 MB/s. I just can't imagine how any of this is suppose to work with 50TB disks hit the market. I guess people will have to either deal with 7 day parity checks or move to another platform. 

19 hours ago, JorgeB said:

I was just referring to the other post you've made in the diskspeed docker thread, I had already replied there.

Ah got it, missed that. Thanks.

I'm not sure how to convert from gigatransfers (8GT/s) since I don't see anything advertising the data bus size in bits but I'll take your word for it. If this was a bottleneck I have other options than swapping out the board. There are 4 onboard SATA I could use and I see cheap PCIE x1 cards that add another two SATA ports so that shouldn't be difficult. I could also use the on board 4 SATA which might reduce the load on the LSI card to the point where x4 is not a problem. Not sure if the card would perform better with the remaining four on one SAS to SATA cable or split across both. 

Still does seem like there is a bottleneck. When running only Exos X20 drives after I pass the point where the smaller drives stop reading I don't get anywhere near the speed I am seeing pre-clearing an X20 (like 190 MB/s vs 280 MB/s). I  could just be the slower 5400rpm drives and by the time they are done and it's just X20s I'm near the center of the disks. Preclear on a 20TB still look like 3-4 days at 280 MB/s, I just wasn't expecting things to take this long.