SOLVED - Help - Sata controller is getting passed when I have VM's enabled

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

I recently upgraded my BIOS to get an nvme working on my system and apparently something changed with iommu so that now a sata controller is getting passed to vfio and messes with the array.  I've tried starting in safe mode, but I cannot edit the VM config.  As soon as I disable VMs with VM manager and reboot, everything else starts and runs as normal.  I can't even set the VM to not auto start as it won't let me save changes to the VM config.  Is there any other way to edit the VM xml when VMs are disabled?

Edited by Mobius71
solved
  • Solution
19 minutes ago, Mobius71 said:

I recently upgraded my BIOS to get an nvme working on my system and apparently something changed with iommu so that now a sata controller is getting passed to vfio and messes with the array.  I've tried starting in safe mode, but I cannot edit the VM config.  As soon as I disable VMs with VM manager and reboot, everything else starts and runs as normal.  I can't even set the VM to not auto start as it won't let me save changes to the VM config.  Is there any other way to edit the VM xml when VMs are disabled?

On flash drive on another machine change autostart to no in this file

root@GUITest:~# cat /boot/config/disk.cfg
# Generated settings:
startArray="no"

Rename /boot/config/vfio-pci.cfg to .old

put flash back in server boot.

open terminal or use console.

mv /usr/local/sbin/qemu /usr/local/sbin/qemu.old

start array vm's should not autostart.

update VM. 

mv /usr/local/sbin/qemu.old /usr/local/sbin/qemu

Dont forget to set autostart in disk settings.

• Mobius71 changed the title to SOLVED - Help - Sata controller is getting passed when I have VM's enabled